• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 drive? 02 meetup?

COUPE9

Thanks bento for reviving this...   ...hopefully everyones' projects ARE coming along...   ...I'm currently in the midst of a triple-sidedraft-Weber conversion on my E9 (which trumped the '02 projects), but I'm not giving up...   ...still going to pull the late nights to hopefully get it going in time for the drive.  That said, what is everyone thinking for a route on 5/21?

1 hour ago, COUPE9 said:

Thanks bento for reviving this...   ...hopefully everyones' projects ARE coming along...   ...I'm currently in the midst of a triple-sidedraft-Weber conversion on my E9 (which trumped the '02 projects), but I'm not giving up...   ...still going to pull the late nights to hopefully get it going in time for the drive.  That said, what is everyone thinking for a route on 5/21?

Could work out, depending on if a couple folks reply to to their part-outs in the classifieds. I need to drop in a new starter & voltage regulator, otherwise I'm stranded at home.

If all goes at my pace, hopefully will be running by 5/21!

-Slavik

22 hours ago, COUPE9 said:

Bring the E9 if the 02 isn't ready. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would enjoy checking it out.

James may have a point with shooting for June; 3 existing events in May is already a lot to choose from, but I'd try to make it regardless. 

How about a drive from Issaquah>Fall City>Carnation>Redmond>Maltby/Woodinville? There are some nice roads linking them together.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

There is a functioning 5 speed in my 02 of choice. Therefore, I am available for some hooliganism.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Paid my money for the LeMay event. I'll be there unless my 02 goes boom!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I've got a hall pass from the wife and  kids for both the Lemay and XXX Root Beer events. Is th there a specific sign up for the Lemay event? If so, where? The website?

Hope to see you guys there.

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

55 minutes ago, Teelinger said:

I've got a hall pass from the wife and  kids for both the Lemay and XXX Root Beer events. Is th there a specific sign up for the Lemay event? If so, where? The website?

Hope to see you guys there.

James

Here you go;

http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/events/bmw-100th-birthday-party-celebration-at-americas-car-museum/

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/bmw-centennial-celebration-at-americas-car-museum-cca-puget-sound-990048#.Vyl4rxFlDMJ

I'm still hopeful Patrick has my car ready by this weekend, but I'll wait to register until I have it back just in case.

Brent

Thanks Brent. All registered and ready to go.

I saw your car in progress when I went to pick up Kermit at Patrick's. Looking good. That EFI system is going to kick some butt. I've got to stop back in early next week to get my fuel pump replaced. Luckily it'll only take a day. Man, It never ends...

James

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

35 minutes ago, Teelinger said:

Thanks Brent. All registered and ready to go.

I saw your car in progress when I went to pick up Kermit at Patrick's. Looking good. That EFI system is going to kick some butt. I've got to stop back in early next week to get my fuel pump replaced. Luckily it'll only take a day. Man, It never ends...

James

I talked to Patrick this evening. He's pushing hard to finish my car to make room for a car that he's reassembling after a respray.

The last parts arrived yesterday and it's basically down to wiring everything up. We'll see what happens but I'm hopeful I'll be driving it this weekend for tuning, and taking it home by this time next week.

The list is still long, but at least it'll still be worth very little when I'm done. :)

Can't wait to get it back, but I especially can't wait to get it back on the track on 5/20.

How's your car treating you? Is it drivable on the bad fuel pump? You had a lot done and I bet it feels like a different car.

Brent

Yeah, that blown head gasket was not an expected expense. But the car is running way better than before and the new suspension parts really made a huge difference. Finally feeling that "on rails" vibe that I expected when I first bought the car.

The fuel pump issue is an intermittent leak so it's still drivable. Just makes me nervous to do so. I bought a fire extinguisher just in case.

Next on the list is a rebuilt distributor, then IE exhaust, etc... THEN I get to start spending some real money when I address body and paint. Oh joy.

James

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

42 minutes ago, Teelinger said:

Yeah, that blown head gasket was not an expected expense. But the car is running way better than before and the new suspension parts really made a huge difference. Finally feeling that "on rails" vibe that I expected when I first bought the car.

The fuel pump issue is an intermittent leak so it's still drivable. Just makes me nervous to do so. I bought a fire extinguisher just in case.

Next on the list is a rebuilt distributor, then IE exhaust, etc... THEN I get to start spending some real money when I address body and paint. Oh joy.

James

I bet it runs better with compression on all 4 cylinders! Patrick showed me your head gasket. Not good...

Sounds like you're close to a point where you can just drive and enjoy it for a while before you take it off the road for paint. That's a good place to be. 

Brent

How about a little meet up and caravan to the LeMay event on Sunday morning for the people north of Seattle? We could meet at 8:00 or so in Ballard and head down by 8:30 with a little group of 02s (or other BMWs).

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors