otto

Early Spring: Drive or not Drive?

15 posts / 1116 viewsLast Reply

Fellow '02ers in the snow belt regions -- Love it or hate, most of us are getting an early Spring. 

Here in Minneapolis, with virtually all snow gone,  there are roads with visible sand (and ya gotta assume some trace of salt) and some roads looking free and clear. It's been over three weeks since the last snow where salt was dumped, and we've had a couple rains since.  In the past / more "normal" winters, I've waited until the street cleaners came around in April. But dang it's looking pretty clear now. I'm tempted, so tempted... 

How long do you wait to drive your '02? Or, what are the road conditions you're looking for before you take it out?

enjoy the car, worst case scenario just was the car thoroughly every week

Drive it.

Worst case, you get rained on, wash the underside when you get home.

t

I'm gonna wait for a couple of good rains to wash the salt off the roads. Looks like it may happen this week. Yay spring!

We had our annual Jugtown Jaunt two weeks ago and ran up to the mountains of Virginia     There was snow up there on the side of the road    And of course it started raining   Baurs love the rain and snow   :) No complaints from the 02ers but I think we all washed our cars when we got home   :)

post-32240-0-80941500-1457354697_thumb.j

post-32240-0-48080400-1457354740_thumb.j

post-32240-0-20260200-1457354765_thumb.j

for so many reasons, I'm glad I was born and raised in San Diego. 

I'm gonna wait for a couple of good rains to wash the salt off the roads. Looks like it may happen this week. Yay spring!

I am with Ryan. Salt dust gets everywhere. Wait until a good rain washes it off the roads.

I'm not waiting for...anything. Drove mine this past weekend. Life is too short to wait, and a little salt isn't going to kill the car.

In upstate NY, especially in the Finger Lakes Region (near several salt mines), we use salt like, well, salt!  The roads in my area are WHITE!  It is supposed to be 70 here today & tomorrow and in no way shape or form will the 1600 make it out.  We still have the possibility of snow all the way through April and even if there is a report of snow coming, out come the salt trucks.  The 1600 will not come out here until the end of April/start of May and we have had SEVERAL good rains to wash the salt off.  For those who live in areas without salt,  have fun!  For me and the 1600, hibernation lasts about 2 more months! (at least I have the autoX car to work on & drive on nice days!)

I drove my 2002 twice a month despite weather since I've bought it last November. 

yfjFzIdl.jpg?1

Snow on the road going up this mountain last week.

When I owned my 2002, I'd take it out a few times each winter. In Ohio, we get occasional spells of warm weather with heavy rains. That is the perfect time to warm up the engine and circulate the fluids for about an hour or so. Many people put their 02 to bed for the entire winter, but I had the ability to run the car on salt-free roads at least 3 or 4 times each winter. It was great to have it briefly back on the road.