willie002

Thermostat Switch - Thread-in Probe

3 posts / 529 viewsLast Reply

Hello,

I've been working on the AC in my 2002 and have come across a bit of a snag. I'm looking for a thermostat for my AC electric fan, I trying to track down a source for 180 degree thread-in probe switch's or I've seen it also called a terminal type switch. It threads into the water divider along with the temperature sending unit.  They look pretty much like the temperature sending units but they are switches that open up at 180 degrees to operate the electric fan for the AC. I can find all kinds of them that are 3/8" but nothing metric. Any good suggestions or work arounds. Thanks for any information.

Cheers............

Edited by willie002

I'm not sure what you are threading into :) But E24, 28 etc BMW's had such switches threaded into the radiator. You might find an E21 water neck.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/115191-which-water-necks-had-dual-temp-sensors/

For my a/c I just wired the condenser fan to energize with the compressor. And then I wired in a small manual pull switch in case I wanted to cut power to the fan at cruising. Haven't mounted that yet, though...

hth,