danco_

NEW PROJECT - 1973 Malaga tii - YONCÉ

218 posts / 29650 viewsLast Reply

I drove the car around all morning. It runs well, but I'm going to send the distributor out for a rebuild, as well as get a spare kugelfischer pump and all 5 injectors rebuilt. I'll probably even drop the engine just so I can get all new seals on it and make it pretty. I can clean up the engine bay "while I'm in there". 

This car is so great. I'm really happy with how it's unfolding, and every time I chip away at it, I find another detail that really makes the car that much better. 

After the drive, I headed to a local coffee shop and got a few hours of work in. Then I got bored of work and went back to the shop and washed the tii, then clay bar'd the existing paint of all impurities and hard water spots. Oh boy was this a good idea! The paint came back to life (on the lower sections) and the car started looking about 60x better than the hour before. I managed to snap a few shots before the day's light was gone, and I didn't do much editing, aside from resizing. These are straight from the camera, and into your eyeballs, for your viewing pleasure.

25300212161_aa0182e36e_b.jpg

25025196369_7fe0653de5_b.jpg

So much to do, so little time. I'm considering GC coilovers for this car as well. Exact same specs as the green car. Because why not.

Really impressed with you work, attention to detail, and excellent taste.  I'd love to find a nice, original example to bring back to life.  I need a bigger garage.

Time to get back on this project.

Next up, wheels. 

I have the 14" steelies that will go in for widening on Tuesday. Nothing dramatic, but they will be similar to the 13" set that I have on the green car.

Photos: 

yCFDuuK.jpg?1

I also have the matching trim rings to complete the set, but I didn't take a photo.

I have three of these

RQc0gS3.jpg?1

and one of these

wxMp5IO.jpg?1

And here is a comparison of a stock 14x5.5 (2000CS wheel) and a slightly widened 13x5.5 2002 wheel.

e8NC44M.jpg?1

I'll interchange these wheels on whatever cars I'm feeling. I'll probably never sell these.

I did four loads of laundry today after the airline lost my luggage yesterday. It showed up today so I had to run back to LAX to get it. I was a little nervous because I had all kinds of illegal things in there, but TSA never checked my bag. 

During laudry, I took apart a spare cluster and cleaned the hell out of it. I'll end up doing the same to three other clusters. I believe they all work at this time, or at least they did when I pulled them from their cars.

sS0ZTpe.jpg?1

I went through the tii today and made a massive list of things I want to complete. I broke it down into categories ranging from interior, exterior, engine bay, suspension, trunk, etc. 

The list is massive in it's current state. I already started a massive purchasing effort on required pieces to complete this puzzle. Top priorities include fixing the coolant leak underneath the kfish pump and cold start/warm up. 

Today I purchased a new brake master cylinder, door card rebuild kit, esty carpet kit, promise to send my seatbelts out for rebuild, all new coolant hoses, and all gaskets pertaining to the induction system. I figure I will rip the engine bay apart, replace all maintenance items, then put it all back together. I'll probably buy a few linkage items from the accelerator to the kfish pump. So much to do, so little time. 

I'm probably heading to Mexico on Tuesday to get paint quotes for this car. I'm sick of seeing the top layer in its current state. I like nice things. This car deserves good paint. 

I'm also gearing up to swap suspensions with the green car. I'll have to send my strut housings to GC for the treatment, then swap in the konis, springs/adjusters, and the camber plates and I'll be good to go. I figure the tii will the be the street hot rod considering all the upgrades it currently has. I'll purchase a stock set of strut housings in the event of a future sale. I'm sure the potential new owner will appreciate it, as will I knowing I have a spare, stock set. 

But enough of that, here are photos:

Destroyed clear coat. I can fix that.

ueLJJjk.jpg?1

Notched frame rail. Is this normal or was it done for the AC compressor?

F7ZrO6f.jpg?1

Random photos of the engine bay...for future reference. I plan on replacing and rejuvinating many parts (think radiator and new 400mm tropical fan)

0fKoyp9.jpg?1

QzdWaPB.jpg?1

oi7TF03.jpg?1

And here is a photo of the aftermarket oil pressure sensor

bi0dgVi.jpg?1

Here is a photo of the coolant leaking from the braided coolant hose coming from what I believe is the warm up regulator, attached to the kfish pump. I'll replace and clean all of this.

umHWUi0.jpg?1

Then I threw on one of the 14" steelies to see clearances. I will have them redone, but I don't want them widened to be flush with the fenders. I want them to sit under the front and rear stock fenders, with the 1600 in mind. So maybe they wont be as aggressively widened as the rears on the Opal Green 2002 currently.

ngKeRFR.jpg?1

MNGDScy.jpg?1

Definitely ordering a fresh set of front and rear swaybar bushings. 

zIwHMS1.jpg?1

I actually like the tired paint has a Wegweiser F'Bomb feel to it. Aside from the coolant leak sounds my annual check/replace list. 

I agree, but this car is nice aside from the very top layer. I want consistency, and I would hate to make the whole lower level ugly to match the top layer. This car will become my hot rod surf car. I have the racks and everything.

I managed to find a set of donor tii struts that are being shipped to Ground Control as we speak. The guys there will be cutting the tubes, welding on 50mm tubes, and preparing the for the full coilover treatment. These will find a home on the tii, allowing me to shelve the complete stock strut housings, struts, calipers, rotors, and hubs.

Once all of those are off and wrapped up/put away in storage, I'll throw on a new set of GC coilovers, 77-79 big bearing e21 hubs, e21 vented rotors, and 528i calipers. This is the current "bbk" for tii's, allowing for vented rotors which dissipate heat better than the solid tii rotors. Not to mention that you can't even get tii rotors currently (NLA for a long time). I'll have the brake booster redone and checked, coupled with a new tii master cylinder and a rear 350mm drum brake kit, the car should stop nicely. 

I also stopped by Mesa Performance in Newport Beach and put in an order for most tii-specific hoses and all gaskets pertaining to the intake/induction system. Then I'll rip it all apart, send the aluminum out for tumbling, other things for powdercoating, hardware out for plating, and my money out to pay for it all. I don't even like money anyways. I rather have cars.

I'm going down the rabbit hole with this one.

(edited)

Tomorrow is your birthday!   Congrats to you from another fellow March b-day FAQ'r.

Cough-cough, wheez.   

Hmm -  "Beware the Ides of March"  I remember that from high school.

Edited by jgerock

Tomorrow is your birthday!   Congrats to you from another fellow March b-day FAQ'r.

Cough-cough, wheez.   

Hmm -  "Beware the Ides of March"  I remember that from high school.

Thanks Jim! I got a lot done today, though nothing of any business importance. 

Today I spent a few hours cleaning most of these extra tii parts. I wanted to categorize what I have and what I can set aside as spares. I also got a sunburn doing it but I don't mind. I snapped these photos and went for a surf right after. So far it's a good day. 

25822263255_b4705d1972_b.jpg

25191773964_73a0c3f833_b.jpg

25796207286_18c2795088_b.jpg

25195646883_7e4499abbc_b.jpg

25191779254_9bd110aef8_b.jpg

25701310772_ea2f9a8e27_b.jpg

25727159171_26fa469ea6_b.jpg

I left most things attached to the kfish pump because I want to know where most things go, and I can verify all the new hoses and gaskets currently on their way. 

I like how clean they currently are. I took extra care not to get parts cleaner into the pump or alternator. I know these are both good working units at the present time. And it's nice to have two extra warm up regulators. 

Parts are starting to show up now.

Check the WURs before reinstalling.

Also suggest you go poly bushings on the alt before reinstall.

Have funs,

Check the WURs before reinstalling.

Also suggest you go poly bushings on the alt before reinstall.

Have funs,

Ray, these are all spare parts. But yes, I'll check both WURs this coming week. I'd love to know their condition.