• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW PROJECT - 1973 Malaga tii - YONCÉ

danco_

I spent this morning removing things, replacing things, and preparing other things for more things.

First, I cleaned up another roundie, non-silver dollar cluser. It's always good to have three or four of these as spares. I probably have 5 silver dollar clusters I need to go through. I hope to make two or three fully working clusters of the 5. 

WRZe2n2.jpg?1

Then I decided to throw one into the tii, since the tii's current cluster has a non-working odometer that bugs me. So first comes out the under dash panels, which revealed an assload of wires, many of which are unconnected - that can't be good. But bonus, I found an ignition kill switch that works! 

jg8jWBq.jpg?1

Cluster swapped and installed. Everything works. Score! 

DXtqhXm.jpg?1

As per Jim G's request, I took some time to replace and repair the dome light door switch and add the little stopper thing. I happened to have three or four as spares so I chose the best one and cleaned everything up. After installation, everything worked perfectly. How nice! 

ZnMOChT.jpg?1

Skt2ZYQ.jpg?1

Then I looked at the current heater/fan faceplates and decided that I needed to change or at the very least, clean these up. Luckily I had spares so I popped the old ones out, installed new ones, and cleaned up the old ones to bring back a very respectable, used condition. This cleaned set will find a home on a famous car, though I'll refrain from disclosing which car for now.

DQI4gRq.jpg?1

yKjKCls.jpg?1

And after they were installed, I was left with these two, which cleaned up very nicely, but could still use more cleaning: 

YvyEbjn.jpg?1

I still need to take these apart and clean them. I should remove that awful trim as well. 

DI925So.jpg?1

I also changed out the sun visors for a much cleaner set, and did a little spring-cleaning on the headliner (I'll need to change this completely).

I then removed the strut bar and disassembled the airbox of all hardware. These components will be sand blasted and re-powdercoated black. I'll have all hardware replated for that clean engine bay look. Next week I'll remove most of the aluminum and send it off for tumbling. This will give me room to futz with the kfish pump and possibly get another Warm Up Regulator in there, assuming it's having issues (which I think it is, but can't confirm yet).  So many things are happening quickly in this engine bay.

JIng5od.jpg?1

I also have all parts to get started on the interior. I've sourced all necessary original vinyl to make one new driver seat, and have a few things on order from Esty. I have the door card rebuild kits, a fresh can of lithium grease for the window tracks, fresh graphite oil for the locking mechanisms, and lots of patience and elbow grease to do these jobs correctly. 

Then once I can finalize everything I just mentioned, she'll go in for paint and trim rehab. I'll likely have her towed to Tijuana for that. I'm curious on what those guys can do. 

Oh, today I dropped these off to my wheel guy: 14x5.5 steelies. I've opted to keep the original barrels and change the offset a bit. The centers will be pushed in about 3/4" and I'll run them with 195/60r14 tires. I'll refrain from going as deep as I did with the 13s. I love the look, but I also like that period-correct sunk-in look that these cars come from the factory, with.

qNJOyZj.jpg?1

GC is hard at work building up a second set of coilovers for this car at this time. Should be ready next week. I may or may not throw a SS IE exhaust kit on here, though I will decide that later. I'll probably throw on a spare set of 350mm rear drums as well. This car will get all the fun parts, while still keeping all stock parts on the shelf in the case of a necessary reversal. I still don't feel like I'm bastardizing this tii. I'm after a fun tii, and I think this is going to be the one. 

I have a spare short-neck 4.10 open diff originally from my 71 1600 that I am considering building up into a LSD. I think it would be fun to have choices between a 3.64, 3.91 and 4.10 LSD, depending on what kind of fun I want to have that month. 

I live for this stuff, man.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

That black plug goes to the door buzzer or something like it, my '73 Tii has the same unplugged plug.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

This morning at 6am, I sent off for a quick trip to TJ, Mexico, in search of a new paint guy. Two shops were recommended to me, and I was able to visit each and speak with the owners. I have a general idea of what each will charge, and the scope of work that will be completed, and the quality of the materials that will be used. I brought many photos of my car, but both owners want to see the cars in person, so I guess I'll have to bring it in for them to see. 

Here are things I saw in TJ that were noteworthy.

This is where Ash gets his drugs. 

FGmSBG9.jpg?1

And this is what happens when you are born a donkey but secretly wanted to be a Zebra your whole life. 

hyYgVQg.jpg?1

I brought many photos like these, for the paint and body shops to see: 

M2Qx4KR.jpg?1

csUJzEe.jpg?1

kKgtmyI.jpg?1

We drove a 4-door e30 into mexico, and as a test mule, we left it there to be repainted. Pending it's quality, I will then send the tii for it's own treatment. We had to walk across the border back into the US. I bought churros and ponchos and all that mexican shit that most people do. It was cool.

Then I bombed back up the hill to LA to grab these: 

y3lF77p.jpg?1

I had the offsets modified a bit. They aren't very deep, but I have a set of 195/60 tires on order that will help fill in the gaps. I think these will be nearly perfect under the tii, and if I want to run them on another car, I won't have to rely on camber to make them fit. Next up is to have them stripped and powdercoated gray. 

Tomorrow I'll probably rebuild the door cards and get most things in the doors lubed up and made pretty again.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Very interesting, post the door card rebuild, I have all the stuff to rebuild mine, just need some inspiration.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Very interesting, post the door card rebuild, I have all the stuff to rebuild mine, just need some inspiration.

Just for you, Andrew.

I spent the last few hours rebuilding the door cards. My brain actually hurts now, but I think the end product is quite exceptional given what I had to work with.

The vinyl has holes on each side - one hole from a screw, and another hole from what looks like a cigarette, but neither bother me terrible. It adds character to the rest of the car. 

The first thing I did, was rip off the old, water-logged cardboard backing. 
9onekvK.jpg?1

Then I removed as much paper remnants as I could, to insure better adhesion to the new backing plates from Aardvark.
aAY72wp.jpg?1

Next up, I bent all the metal tabs on the back of the metal frame so that they would accept the new wood backing. I then bent them back to secure the wood, then got to gluing down the vinyl to the new wood. 
jesZufA.jpg?1

Now it was time to get painter's tape along the edges of the plastic, to protect the vinyl from the new aluminum tape (you'll understand why) and the mother's mag polish.
Ji4EcLU.jpg?1

Instead of going after the traditional mylar (all I've ever used in the past, when rebuilding 2002 door cards), I opted to use aluminum tape, then polish it out for that mirror shine that Mylar is known for. I stole the idea from Brian Dooley (thanks again!) and it worked so well, I'll never used Mylar film again. This is my preferred method of choice. 
u4kNFzV.jpg?1

Now you apply the aluminum tape. It's pretty easy to work with. I used an exacto knife to make the fine cuts, and a credit card edge to seat the aluminum edges to the plastic trim pieces. You can see both completed door cards here.
Z8gxJuG.jpg?1

Now for polishing. About 2 minutes per strip, and you can see the difference is huge.
ps7p9wj.jpg?1

0D9oYFw.jpg?1

Muuuch nicer now:
j3bhkDO.jpg?1

And for the final product. 
BzobopU.jpg?1

I'll get the rear cards done, tinker with the door innards (new grommets, cleaning and lithium grease all window tracks, clean and graphite oil all locks, add new vapor barrier,etc), then finally put everything back together. 

I have a new carpet kit on the way, so that will be going in soon as well. I'll likely do up another center console and add oil temperature to the current two gauges. I'll also add an afr gauge, but that will go into the glove box - I don't want to see flashing numbers every time I drive. 

I also began stripping these:
kyi7awC.jpg?1

I'll have them repainted and clear coated in that nice, stock silver/gray color.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

That is awesome! Thanks Ryan. Where does one get Aluminum tape with no words on it? Could you send me a roll? Sending a PM.

Andrew Wilson

That is awesome! Thanks Ryan. Where does one get Aluminum tape with no words on it? Could you send me a roll? Sending a PM.

Hi Andrew -

This roll (2"x30') can be purchased from Home Depot for under $4.00. I think it was located in the building materials department, but can also be found with the ducting and HVAC items. I am happy to send you the remainder of this particular roll, but expect to pay more in shippin that what it's actually worth! 

-RD

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Hi Andrew -

This roll (2"x30') can be purchased from Home Depot for under $4.00. I think it was located in the building materials department, but can also be found with the ducting and HVAC items. I am happy to send you the remainder of this particular roll, but expect to pay more in shippin that what it's actually worth! 

-RD

OK I'll head to HD and buy a roll. Thanks for the advice.

Andrew Wilson

Bought a roll of aluminum tape for $7.98 at Lowe's. 

Andrew Wilson

I was able to strip the rest of the wheels, buy the fancy primer, Wurth Silver paint, and 2K Clear Coat. I figure if I stripped the wheels, I might as well paint them too. I probably spent $100 just in primer/color/clear coat today. I shot two coats of primer today. Tomorrow will be color and maybe, just maybe, clear coat on friday. Then mount tires that also showed up today.

But the product is turning out great. I went ahead and stripped two other valve covers today as well. One is a tii VC, and the other is standard. 

qNnK7uU.jpg?1

I'm a little worried that these tires may be too wide for the fenders. I will be running coilovers with camber adjustability, but still, these tires are MEATY. Falken Azenis RT-615K. Looks like I won't be sliding around anywhere with these.

xZ6QQkQ.jpg?1

And here is the small collection of valve covers I have at the house. I probably have another 5 at the warehouse.

1W3rWWi.jpg?1

I hope to get the wheels mounted this weekend and see what needs to be adjusted.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I am running the Falken Azenis, they stick great. What did you use to clean up the heater/fan face plates?

Just 4/0 steel wool and if needed, plastic polish.

I just picked up all these various hoses and gaskets and stuff. I want this car in tip-top shape.

I hate how this photo represents $360 worth of parts (not pictured: 77 e21 vented rotors). 

n5AscSg.jpg?2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Nearly finished with these things. They are the absolute boobs. They came out much better than I had expected. 

I used these: 

VJQoIrd.jpg?1

To get to this (wet clear coat):

1nBNMuR.jpg?1

And finally the finished product (dry clear coat):

K9mDDCV.jpg?1

I'll mate the tires to rims, tomorrow, to make one super set of wheels. Now I just hope that everything clears the stock fenders. I did absolutely no math when I had the wheels modified or when I bought the tires. I was going off hopes and dreams and my college education. Let's see if school helped me at all in my life, starting with wheels.

7odup6Z.jpg?1

vfbE550.jpg?1

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards