• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW PROJECT - 1973 Malaga tii - YONCÉ

danco_

Still need to take this car to get the headliner fixed. Every time I want to go, something comes up and I have to wait another day or week. 

So I decided to get the carpet and interior panels in, and take the car in for headliner and final glass install next week, when the rain subsides (hopefully). I'll get the carpet done this week. 

First piece went in this morning, and I may finish it tomorrow, though Saturday or Sunday completion is more likely. 

Tg4N2EF.jpg?1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ray_ said:

What did you put under it?

I have my Esty kit in the box, unopened for the past 18 months...

I ripped apart all the factory tar sheets to inspect for rust, then laid down raamat and ensolite, then glued the new carpet down. 

Should work for keeping things reasonably quiet, or at least stop sound resonation. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice.  Always loved that color, I had a polaris '73 with factory alloys, its a great look with the right "skinny" tires.  Not a huge fan though I have to say of those SS exhausts and how they hang down below the rear valance (maybe just needs adjusting).  The factory tii mufflers always seem to tuck up nice and tight in that area.  I think I need a streetable o2 back in my life sometime soon....Nice work.

17 hours ago, markmac said:

Very nice.  Always loved that color, I had a polaris '73 with factory alloys, its a great look with the right "skinny" tires.  Not a huge fan though I have to say of those SS exhausts and how they hang down below the rear valance (maybe just needs adjusting).  The factory tii mufflers always seem to tuck up nice and tight in that area.  I think I need a streetable o2 back in my life sometime soon....Nice work.

Thanks Mark! I have come to really like this car and will likely drive it's wheels off.

As for the muffler, the hanger itself is severely bent, allowing the muffler to hang. Im not sure why, but I had no direct action to cause this - seems like poor design on IE's side. I mean, it's a thin piece of stainless steel after all. I'm driving straight to the exhaust shop to have this fixed. 

• Like 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Jeff Tighe has done an incredible amount of work on this car and it's almost done.

I drove the car today and will drive it for two more days until I stab the new distributor in with pertronix. We retarded the timing a bit to stop it from pinging. I'm confident that the new distributor will stop the pinging, but the car is still dieseling, which I can't yet figure out.

This car was fast before the head gasket popped, but now it's FASTER and quicker. Like race-car fast. Jeff says it's the fastest tii he's driven. Even Bill Holmes says great things, and he used to race tii's.

A few photos to make it all worth it.

Finally.thumb.jpg.3a115e2a64794630e735d0ef4bcf4bfe.jpg

Finally-2.thumb.jpg.6e175b932861b8fa7781de72cabd3867.jpg

Hope to have the new seats in this weekend, then finish tuning early next week. 

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

That's really pretty.

Can you drop the idle a bit to see if it mitigates the dieseling?

Have u checked CO at idle? The tuna can adjustment may also help with dieseling. Is the KF linkage set properly and without play?

You know of course you can shut it off while letting the clutch out. in the meantime, to stop the annoyance....

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Looks really good.  One of the many great BmW Colors.

It might sound crazy, but some tii's (for whatever reason) just have a little bit 'extra' that others don't.   Really if they were essentially identically prepared there shouldn't be reason for this.  There was an article in the Roundel (when the Roundel actually wrote articles about 2oo2's) - I can't remember now who wrote it but there may have been a contribution from Bill Holmes ?  Back in my college days I used to have my '69 2oo2 serviced at a shop on Telegraph Avenue (can't remember the name now), the owner had a '73 tii

same as YONCÉ (color, interior, wheels), he would let me drive it from time to time while he had my car.  It had that "it" factor, just ran like stink (and it was bone stock).  Hell, who knows maybe that car is YONCÉ .....

11 hours ago, ray_ said:

That's really pretty.

Can you drop the idle a bit to see if it mitigates the dieseling?

Have u checked CO at idle? The tuna can adjustment may also help with dieseling. Is the KF linkage set properly and without play?

You know of course you can shut it off while letting the clutch out. in the meantime, to stop the annoyance....

Cheers,

Thanks, sweet baby ray.

the idle can come down, but then with the cam, it gets Lopy and will surge between 900-1200. Not exactly a happy spot for this motor.

havent checked the CO, but Jeff might have. 

Cant comment on kf linkages. I would think that if there were any issues, Jeff would bring them to my attention and buy what needs to be bought. 

And yes on thr clutch! That's how I've been shutting the car off these past few times. Still, not exactly a "fix". 

This motor has a lot of compression. The builder says 10:1 Pistons but Jeff Tighe is convinced its more like 10.5:1. 

2 hours ago, saaron said:

Looking very good.  Glad you got the head bit sorted out and back together.  The car looks like dynamite.

Scott

Thanks Scott. It was super dirty and my fronts seats aren't back yet. And it still needs about 15 hours or work to get the aesthetics right. 

20 minutes ago, markmac said:

Looks really good.  One of the many great BmW Colors.

It might sound crazy, but some tii's (for whatever reason) just have a little bit 'extra' that others don't.   Really if they were essentially identically prepared there shouldn't be reason for this.  There was an article in the Roundel (when the Roundel actually wrote articles about 2oo2's) - I can't remember now who wrote it but there may have been a contribution from Bill Holmes ?  Back in my college days I used to have my '69 2oo2 serviced at a shop on Telegraph Avenue (can't remember the name now), the owner had a '73 tii

same as YONCÉ (color, interior, wheels), he would let me drive it from time to time while he had my car.  It had that "it" factor, just ran like stink (and it was bone stock).  Hell, who knows maybe that car is YONCÉ .....

I wish I can say this tii was a strong runner from the factory, but I received it with a built and blueprinted motor. Every piston is the same weight, every rod is lithtened, even crank is lightened. Then you have higher compression pistons and Schrick 284 cam and valve springs. This car screams. 

Motor was buikt very well, but my biggest issues right now is the dieseling. 

Bill Holmes says that some tii's just did that and that it could probably be tuned out. 

I can say that it was tuned out before the head popped. Im hoping the recurved dizzy is the answer for all detonation issues since I had advance added at idle and timing retarded at WOT. Should help. If not, 123 Bluetooth unit will be wuickly

en route. 

Hoping for a miracle here soon. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Very nice Mr. Danko!  What spark plugs and gap are you running? I highly recommend the 123 dizzy, but the recurved original in my tii is great. It fixed many of my issues.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"