• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW PROJECT - 1973 Malaga tii - YONCÉ

danco_

Oh, I almost forgot, I sold the Borrani wheels and scored a set of excellent and original Campagnolo Ragno wheels in 13x6, followed by a set of Italian turn signals. The campys were locally sourced, sitting in the same box since the mid 80s, on a shelf in a dry warehouse. They are in seriously nice, original condition. They were fitted to a 1600 cabriolet for two years before the cab was sold and the wheels put away in storage. I even have all original wheel weights, that were fitted to the wheel lips. They won't go back on, but very cool to have. Now I just have to source an original set of Campagnolo wheel lug nuts! 

Fun Fact: These campys were manufactured in March of 1973. My tii was manufactured on April 5th, 1973. What a Christmas miracle. 

wheels_-10.jpgwheels_.jpgwheels_-3.jpg

Turn signals were test fitted to my 1600 for a quick photo op. They will go on the tii for better contrast. 

turn signals edited_-2.jpgturn signals edited_-5.jpg

Things are moving now. 

Edited by danco_
  • Thanks 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

8 hours ago, danco_ said:

I think this car will be a good one to drive to the east coast at some point. One of those "once in a lifetime drive across the country and hit some famous landmarks" type of trip.

Do it, have done the trip twice, 2015 in Vern and 2016 in Athena. If and when you make it to Maine, you have a place to stay.

aa.jpg

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

8 hours ago, danco_ said:

think this car will be a good one to drive to the east coast at some point. One of those "once in a lifetime drive across the country and hit some famous landmarks" type of trip.

Yup - you can stay here in Cincy - you have to go to Chicago to see that city, so then it's 5 hours to here - if you time it right we can go to Cars and Coffee at Eurotrash's coffee shop Saturday AM.  We can get the rest of the RGB and see if we can get 8 or 10 02s there.  

Car is looking good.  Those wheels are cool.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

37 minutes ago, jgerock said:

In between (sort of) Cincy and Maine, you'll need to steer to Northern VA.   On my bucket list is to drive a 2002 to the West coast.  Maybe when I finally retire this will happen.

When you do the trip hit Mid America '02 Fest then Brisbane in South San Francisco, visit National Parks on the way home.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Looks like I have some planning to do. I should probably start saving funds to make this happen, which means I should probably get a job, which means I'll probably have to wear shoes and real clothes.

The things we do for love.

But I got the front end mostly on. I think I need better side grilles but it's not at the top of my list at the present moment. Pulled off the headlight buckets, scrubbed them down, reinstalled, and with new hardware, got the grilles back on. I think I'll need to redo a complete set of buckets. Re-plate with the works. The old one is looking well, old. 

Grilles_.jpg

• Thanks 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Looking good Ryan.  I'd be careful using that cover on fresh paint.  The cover I used on my 6-month old paint on the VW left "waffle" impressions on the flat portions of the hood.  That was single stage paint - not clear coat.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

5 hours ago, jgerock said:

Looking good Ryan.  I'd be careful using that cover on fresh paint.  The cover I used on my 6-month old paint on the VW left "waffle" impressions on the flat portions of the hood.  That was single stage paint - not clear coat.

I'll spend a few hours in the morning sanding out little imperfections and giving the car a final cut and buff. Then seal with wax, and attach the beltline trim. 

I hear you on the fresh paint. This is a two stage paint this time around. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

On 12/13/2016 at 9:33 PM, danco_ said:

Oh, I almost forgot, I sold the Borrani wheels and scored a set of excellent and original Campagnolo Ragno wheels in 13x6, followed by a set of Italian turn signals. The campys were locally sourced, sitting in the same box since the mid 80s, on a shelf in a dry warehouse. They are in seriously nice, original condition. They were fitted to a 1600 cabriolet for two years before the cab was sold and the wheels put away in storage. I even have all original wheel weights, that were fitted to the wheel lips. They won't go back on, but very cool to have. Now I just have to source an original set of Campagnolo wheel lug nuts! 

Fun Fact: These campys were manufactured in March of 1973. My tii was manufactured on April 5th, 1973. What a Christmas miracle. 

wheels_-10.jpgwheels_.jpgwheels_-3.jpg

Turn signals were test fitted to my 1600 for a quick photo op. They will go on the tii for better contrast. 

turn signals edited_-2.jpgturn signals edited_-5.jpg

Things are moving now. 

Lucky boy! The '02 Gods continue to lavish the sweet leads/finds on you my friend...hopefully my luck will turn soon!

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

3 minutes ago, 1936spyder said:

Lucky boy! The '02 Gods continue to lavish the sweet leads/finds on you my friend...hopefully my luck will turn soon!

I say this again and again, but I think this is the last 02 I will do for a while. These are great cars, but I've saturated my life with 02s, After this little tii is where I want it, I will probably step back from 02s and re-prioritize. Maybe give others a chance at buying all the cool stuff, or at least passing on the leads to people like yourself. 

Or not, lol. 

But I've done a few things since the last post.

First, I've gone over the whole car's paint. Wet-sanded problem areas, fresh cut, buff (three stage process), then finally wax. This way the car's paint is sealed and I can finally start adding trim and other exterior goodies over the next few days. But this didn't come without a cost. I burned through the clear in two spots, which are highly visible. I've given this fresh paint job some character. I'm not mad because it was done by my own hand, but you know, it's there and I'll see it every time I walk up to the car. 

I didn't really take photos of this process.

I also did a general cleaning of the Campy wheels, found lug that work perfectly with the steel-insert taper, and removed all the adhesive from where the wheel weights sat on the outer lips. 

wheels_-2.jpgwheels_.jpg

I'm motivated to get the exterior done, then interior (including headliner fix and new windshield), then finally over to Jeff Tighe's shop in Costa Mesa (TP Productions) for a kfish rework and recurved dizzy install (Jeff at Advanced Distributors reworked a tii dizzy). With a Schrick 284 cam and 10:1 pistons on a stock dizzy, I had too little advance at low rpms, and too much advance at high rpms (caused detonation). Jeff at Advanced Dizzys knew exactly what to do and has done this particular recurve for a few others with my same motor. I'm hopeful that the car is better after this. If not, 123 dizzy here I come.

It is all getting done. Slowly but surely. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

1 hour ago, douglash2003 said:

Diablo,

That looks like a great find. You mentioned a shop inCM! Is is this place where fellow 02 owners CB get their vehicles serviced? I can see from your replies that you are well versed 02 encyclopedia..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes correct! 

Jeff is a friend as well as a great mechanic, versed in all things 02 and e9. 

Here are two recent articles on some of his projects.

http://www.stanceworks.com/2016/06/in-sheeps-clothing-the-classic-bmws-of-jeff-tighe-productions/

http://petrolicious.com/this-bmw-2002-s14-evo-swap-is-the-perfect-sleeper

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

58 minutes ago, danco_ said:

Yes correct! 

Jeff is a friend as well as a great mechanic, versed in all things 02 and e9. 

Here are two recent articles on some of his projects.

http://www.stanceworks.com/2016/06/in-sheeps-clothing-the-classic-bmws-of-jeff-tighe-productions/

http://petrolicious.com/this-bmw-2002-s14-evo-swap-is-the-perfect-sleeper

What a turd, that '02.

:D:P

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.