• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW PROJECT - 1973 Malaga tii - YONCÉ

danco_

Well I took apart the wiper motor, cleaned old grease, added new grease, pulled apart the bars, did a terrible job masking, sprayed fresh paint, put it all back together, and greased up each moving joint. Also painted the black cover. Didn't feel like replacing the bolts and washers (b/c they are hidden), but everything looks good. 

glass.jpg

It was about 9 pm but I wasn't ready to call it a day, so I figured now was a good time to replace the rear quarter glass b-pillar rubber seals. All OEM, just like my women.

Old seal:

glass-2.jpg

New seal:

glass-3.jpg

More new seal:

glass-4.jpg

Stoked on the fine details! 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I have that same iPhone "case".  It is cracked and one of the corners is broken off.  So I suppose it is doing something.  Like the sacrificial metal rod in an electric hot water heater.  The case is breaking so the phone is still OK after 3 years.  Of course, it looks terrible.  It makes me look like a phone dropper.

All looks great re the parts and pieces of your car.  Can't wait until it can all go back together.  I have some jobs on my tii that I need to do that I'm not looking forward to.  

Keep rockin'.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

On 11/18/2016 at 9:25 AM, saaron said:

I have that same iPhone "case".  It is cracked and one of the corners is broken off.  So I suppose it is doing something.  Like the sacrificial metal rod in an electric hot water heater.  The case is breaking so the phone is still OK after 3 years.  Of course, it looks terrible.  It makes me look like a phone dropper.

All looks great re the parts and pieces of your car.  Can't wait until it can all go back together.  I have some jobs on my tii that I need to do that I'm not looking forward to.  

Keep rockin'.

Scott

I know the feeling, Scott. I had my case on for years without a single cracked screen. I took the case off for one week and all hell broke loose. So back on a case goes.

I got this thing back yesterday. Time to square it away and make her pretty again. Have most re-assembly parts ready to go, but I noticed BMW sent me the incorrect right-side rear quarter window gasket. I just ordered another one...hopefully it's correct this time. 

home day 1_-2.jpg

As was originally rumored, this car was purchased new by a current Superior Court Judge in San Diego. I found this old business card under the carpet, which goes in line with the tales.

home day 1_-5.jpg

I've also decided to rename this tii "Yonce", after Beyonce. In the last 8 months, this car has proven to be self sufficient, independent, strong and not needing of any man; something we should all aspire to be. Yonce will be Queen.

More updates to follow. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Can't wait for this day to come for my Malaga '73 as well...might be some time though, as I am not sans kids, young and single anymore. Wah-wah-WAH!!!

Guess I'll just live vicariously through you Ryan.

Thank you.

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Ryan, can you comment on this particular shade of malaga?  I've seen other conversations about how the "true" shade is an elusive mistress (maybe earlier in this thread?), and I'd be curious to hear your experience with the paint shop to find one you like.  Looks great, per usual.

Edited by revolve40

I'm getting tingly thinking about it coming back together.  Wish I lived closer so I could swing by and "help".  Maybe the holidays will afford some extra time to spend on the coche.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

On 11/20/2016 at 10:26 AM, 1936spyder said:

Can't wait for this day to come for my Malaga '73 as well...might be some time though, as I am not sans kids, young and single anymore. Wah-wah-WAH!!!

Guess I'll just live vicariously through you Ryan.

Thank you.

You are most welcome. Did you ever get the package I sent? 

23 hours ago, revolve40 said:

Ryan, can you comment on this particular shade of malaga?  I've seen other conversations about how the "true" shade is an elusive mistress (maybe earlier in this thread?), and I'd be curious to hear your experience with the paint shop to find one you like.  Looks great, per usual.

I can't comment on the trueness of the shade, except to say that I am very impressed with how it shines in the light. I have a neighbor with a 3.0CS coupe also in Malaga, so we will sit them side by side to compare. And he is extremely more anal than myself, so I will hold his Malaga paint color as the base from which to compare all others. 

As for the paint shop, I regret working with them. Lazy Mexicans in Compton California. The only thing that saved me from mass overspray was my level of preparation. They actually did very good work on minor rust repair and overall body work, but they dropped the ball on the paint process. 

I had them install the headliner as well and they went and screwed that up promptly. They broke the rear board that is used to allow air to pass through the cabin (positive pressure when the windows are down), so they glued the headliner straight to the rear windshield frame without telling me. Very bummed about that. It will cost me another $300 to fix.

4 hours ago, saaron said:

I'm getting tingly thinking about it coming back together.  Wish I lived closer so I could swing by and "help".  Maybe the holidays will afford some extra time to spend on the coche.  

Scott

Minor bumps in the road but she'll be back together soon! 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Sorry to hear about the paint and headliner issues. When I had my '62 Bonneville 4 spd sports coupe painted, I specifically asked them to paint the trunk floor only and not the underside of the trunk lid. They did the exact opposite, painting over mint original paint and a perfect jack instructions decal. I was just "slightly" pissed...

As for the grill slat, I haven't received it but didn't want to bother you, as you've been busy with this in addition to life (as we all are!).

Edited by 1936spyder

On 11/21/2016 at 11:25 AM, 1936spyder said:

Sorry to hear about the paint and headliner issues. When I had my '62 Bonneville 4 spd sports coupe painted, I specifically asked them to paint the trunk floor only and not the underside of the trunk lid. They did the exact opposite, painting over mint original paint and a perfect jack instructions decal. I was just "slightly" pissed...

As for the grill slat, I haven't received it but didn't want to bother you, as you've been busy with this in addition to life (as we all are!).

this is concerning. I sent you an entire kidney grille via snail mail, with no tracking. 

Can you make use of silver grille slats? I have another parts grille with silver slats. SHould be good to spray the slats black and be good.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

At a crossroads with this car. Can't get the interior in with a headliner that needs to be corrected. So I started on the trunk. Will get that dialed in nicely, and after thanksgiving, tow it to the headliner guys for a redo. Then once it's home, it's party time. 

But I got some trim on. Not much, but some. 

glass going in_.jpg

Also snagged new rain gutter trim, so these will come off. All trim on this car has been redone. Pretty stoked about that.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

16 minutes ago, danco_ said:

this is concerning. I sent you an entire kidney grille via snail mail, with no tracking. 

Can you make use of silver grille slats? I have another parts grille with silver slats. SHould be good to spray the slats black and be good.

Wow, didn't expect an entire ctr grill-that's beyond generous. How long ago did you send it? I'll ask the post ofc if they're holding anything for me.

idk, about 10 days ago? if the PO says nothing of it's existence, can you make use of silver slats? 

Just now, 1936spyder said:

Wow, didn't expect an entire ctr grill-that's beyond generous. How long ago did you send it? I'll ask the post ofc if they're holding anything for me.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Car looks fantastic, malaga is one of my fav's, going to be really nice once you get everything put back on it - "the fun part".  Someday I'll get mine back, in just a few short weeks we (I) will have eclipsed the 9 month mark (since it was trucked away).  Happy Thanksgiving.  Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2016 at 1:50 PM, markmac said:

Car looks fantastic, malaga is one of my fav's, going to be really nice once you get everything put back on it - "the fun part".  Someday I'll get mine back, in just a few short weeks we (I) will have eclipsed the 9 month mark (since it was trucked away).  Happy Thanksgiving.  Cheers

I think this car will be a good one to drive to the east coast at some point. One of those "once in a lifetime drive across the country and hit some famous landmarks" type of trip.

I don't hate Malaga, but I like it a lot more now that I see what it can actually look like. 

Got the bumpers on, and the trunk mostly buttoned up (including all fresh seals). I ended up scoring a perfect front bumper with new chrome, so I opted for that one over what came with the car.

Bumper or Dash_-12.jpg

Bumper or Dash_-4.jpg

Then I scored a much nicer dash with only a single crack on the top half (2 piece dash), so in that went. First I had to cut out the hole for the tii clock. It has to be right, after all. Don't mind the interior mess. That will be remedied very soon.

Bumper or Dash_.jpgBumper or Dash_-2.jpgBumper or Dash_-5.jpg

I'm going to try and button up the interior and exterior before christmas, God willing. Then comes the exhaust, freshly recurved dizzy, and some general engine bay tidy-up. Then I will be happy and the car will become one of the permanents. 

On 11/28/2016 at 0:33 PM, Captain Manly said:

Would you please PM regarding the correct way to install the rear quarter window assembly?  I am about to start on that and I smell disaster in the wind if I attempt this myself.

Thanks!!

Justin

Hey Justin,

the process is very simple. There are two screws holding the rear quarter window latch in place. First, remove those two screws (per window). Then, pry into the inner-b pillar seal to reveal four small screws. You can only do this with the window pried open (removing those first two screws from the c pillar help tremendously here). Make sure to have help when you remove the four b-pillar screws, as they hold the window frame to the pillar. If you remove the screws, the glass will fall and likely shatter. 

Good luck! 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards