Sign in to follow this  
willie002

Mounting Electric Fuel Pump

8 posts / 918 viewsLast Reply

I know my mistake was getting an electronic fuel pump in the first place. But, now that I have it and it's been installed for me I'll ask the question - what's the best way to mount the fuel pump so the noise doesn't drive you out of the car? My fuel pump was mounted for me, I had envisioned some sort of vibration damper to be used between the pump and the mounting location on the car. I did get some material between them unfortunately about an 1/8" is all. Then the pump was spot welded on all 4 corners to the frame of the car. It sure isn't going to fall off but you can't stand to be in the car when it's running it's so loud. I'm going to have to somehow carefully cut the spot welds and remove the pump and make a different way to mount it. Originally I was thinking of using some of the heavy duty rubber pad that's used to mount industrial equipment to concrete floors to dampen the vibration. Any ideas for a great solution?

Or the vibration mounts used on the air cleaner brackets.  Need to be somewhat soft to not transmit the energy to the car metal.

Use isolating rubber mounts, fix these to somewhere stiff like a corner or something structural.

Quite a few have used the spot welded seam that runs over the right hand rear wheel at the bottom with wiring and plumbing coming and going behind the trunk board.

Fuel pump inertia switch in the same location is good too. Turn off the pump if you have an accident.

I like the radiator mounting rubbers off of a 320- the OE ones are hourglass shaped, and only transmit a lot of noise, not all of it.

A big part's the pump, too- some are noisier than others.

And finally, there are many reasons why all modern cars have the pump immersed in the tanks,

and noise is probably almost #1.

t

(edited)

Do the non-tii's have the fuel pump mount tabs installed?

If yes, would it work to find a pump mount/surge tank and use that?  Wiring may be less than fun though.

Just a thought.

Edited by xferboy

You can get an in-tank pump from a later 3-series. There are a few different models and they are all too short, but a little fabrication will fix that. As some suggested it may be less noise with one like that. Not tried it myself, but the plan is to get one for my car, when converting to BIG turbo.