LikeStig

Worn Steering Box- what to do?

17 posts / 2004 viewsLast Reply

The Steering box on my car is difficult to turn at the middle of its' swing. I can turn the coupling bracket by hand through the rough parts, but it does not do the full sweep when pushing the arm. It is disconnected from the center link. The steering wheel needed larger back and forth adjustments at interstate speeds so I suspect I need to address this. I read the worm gear is likely worn- who can I send this to? Is this a repair by replacement thing? Should I just drive it?

Thanks,

(edited)

So, is it too tight, or loose?  Steering boxes can be tightened by screwing in the stud on top of the box.  But if it's been tightened all the way and there's no threads left, you'll need a different box.  If it's too tight or rough, you can back off the adjustment, but then you'll loose steering feel.  If ithere's oil in it and its tightened OK, and it's not smooth due to damage, well then its time for a different box.

In any case, I don't think there's a good source for new gears.  You just need to find one in a parts car or in the classifieds, which has a smooth feel and lots of adjustment room left on the threads.

Edited by KFunk

Mine had the same issue; when I pulled it apart the worm gear have a number of pits in it. I got a new one 

P/N 32111108744. Worked like a charm.

I have a spare steering box to sell. Contact me if you're interested. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, is it too tight, or loose?  Steering boxes can be tightened by screwing in the stud on top of the box.  But if it's been tightened all the way and there's no threads left, you'll need a different box.  If it's too tight or rough, you can back off the adjustment, but then you'll loose steering feel.  If ithere's oil in it and its tightened OK, and it's not smooth due to damage, well then its time for a different box.

In any case, I don't think there's a good source for new gears.  You just need to find one in a parts car or in the classifieds, which has a smooth feel and lots of adjustment room left on the threads.

Hmm OK I'll inspect how much the screw has been turned in.

Mine had the same issue; when I pulled it apart the worm gear have a number of pits in it. I got a new one 

P/N 32111108744. Worked like a charm.

Thanks man! I hope it isn't the $486 roller axle haha. I'm a little hesitant to disassemble the box because it requires specialized assembly, but my shop manual actually has pretty decent illustrations and a few posts on the forum are good too.

Have you adjusted it?

I have not touched the adjustment screw at this point, I'll take a closer look at it tonight to inspect if reducing its' tension will help. From reading in other places the screw effects the mesh of the gears through the entire range of movement? It feels nice and positive at either end of its throw. Thinking back the rough section is probably 540-720 degrees of rotation at the steering wheel which is probably wide enough of a range for that to help.

I had little trouble taking mine apart, save for pulling the steering arm off!!! I read up on how to do it, and the #1 pointer I read when re-assembling was to make sure the worm  and roller were centered correctly. My experience was that the thing simply wouldn't go together unless is was centered!

Update- I pulled out the worm gear and had a good look around the box. I am suspect of the flat edge on the worm gear, can anyone confirm this is abnormal? I was expecting something more obvious but the edge does have scratches which run the radius of the gear. The fluid really needed a flush, and there were 4 metal spacers with corrosion which will need attention/replacement.

post-39968-0-31431700-1453438651_thumb.j

post-39968-0-08729500-1453438685_thumb.j

post-39968-0-86495800-1453438716_thumb.j

post-39968-0-24950100-1453438737_thumb.j

post-39968-0-79674500-1453438754_thumb.j

post-39968-0-89423100-1453438772_thumb.j

Well, you're in luck- that looks good to me. 

Or at least, I don't see the pitting that marks a truly dead one, as Armin says...

How is the mating roller?

The bearings are easily replaced, and that and a good shimming and adjustment

might just get you back in business.

t

Damn.  Your eyes are better than mine!

t

(edited)

Nice spot, I wasn't really sure what I was looking for. After looking at it more I now see the gouges are right by the alignment mark,  low and behold right in the middle of the gear is wear at the same point. I've always wanted a $200 paperweight!

post-39968-0-94780300-1453785818_thumb.j

post-39968-0-30988100-1453785832_thumb.j

post-39968-0-63250500-1453785846_thumb.j

Edited by LikeStig