worzella

Is my subframe toast ???

9 posts / 933 viewsLast Reply

I fear the worst, but want an expert verdict. I pulled my subframe and had it blasted and was prep'ing to POR it when I noticed the items I saw in the pix. The drive side rail that bolts to the chassis is flat, but the pass side is cocked on a pretty noticeable angle. 

Also when I look at the metal near where the motor mount bolt is, it is kinked and the bolt has no chance

of getting through the hole... I assume when new, that bolt was intended to freely pass through the hole. 

Nayway, the other confession I have is that I know this car was whacked in an accident in the past from the front passenger side, so I expect that is what did this. 

But what I fear even more is that when the subframe was bolted to the chassis, it appeared to be flush with the

rails.... so now I need to see how badly the pass side rail is tweaked. 

Sick feeling in my stomach :(

Thanks - Randypost-36132-0-87061400-1453067181_thumb.jpost-36132-0-29362000-1453067201_thumb.jpost-36132-0-74220600-1453067227_thumb.jpost-36132-0-82821400-1453067250_thumb.jpost-36132-0-31321400-1453067275_thumb.j

Yeah, that doesn't look right.

The bolt should come out of that hole.

I wonder if a tow truck driver got his hook on it, and kinked it?

A couple pix of the other side of it might help.

But yeah, the mounting rails on both sides should be in plane,

as in, a long straight edge across them should lie flat...  I seem to recall...

t

(edited)

Randy,

I agree with Toby, also the mounting bracket for the P/S motor mount you show in the 4th pic....the leg of that plate should be at a right angle to the frame, it appears that right side of the frame has been forced upwards. You may want to look for another.

Here is what it should look like

post-45625-0-00175100-1453075680_thumb.j

Good luck with it.

Mike

Edited by joysterm

That is no good. Also a caution if using old centerlink & trac rods etc. which came with that subframe... check & double check.

Thanks so much - even for the bad news :) I plan to get under the engine bay and do some very detailed measuring.

The factory shop manual has all sorts of dimensions between various critical mounting points for exactly what you're trying to accomplish.  You'll need a metric tape measure...

mike

Yeah- I'd start with another subframe, offer it up, and see how things go.

It's impressive what sorts of damage a tow- truck driver can do when he's good and heavy on the winch button...

The subframe is slightly sacrificial- the tub's a lot stronger, so you might get lucky, or find that a new subframe

gets things back to about where they should be.  I bullied a new one onto a bent E36, and it realigned things

almost as good as new.  Almost.  Which is plenty good enough...

Good luck,

t