rapandi

Labelling wiring harness

11 posts / 2251 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

So I have been labelling my harness in as much detail as possible prior to pulling it out. It is one of the last items remaining on the car before the body work commences.

I am curious to know how people went about with labelling the fuse box wires? It is a jungle in their - did you label each wire individually, or just relied on the colour coded wiring diagram to help you put it back together?

post-49135-0-28221600-1453026750_thumb.j

Edited by rapandi

As Jim says, it's a good idea to take independent notes and compare with the wiring diagram to capture any changes or additions. You could always label each wire with fuse number and side as well.

Belt, braces and duct tape.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had similar ideas in mind and feel reassured. 

On your tii- there should be an extra wire lead from the electric fuel pump to the fuse box - perhaps fuse # 11. It should be separate from the other wrapped wires that run into the fender well opening.

Like Jim, I took pictures, made a paper diagram of the terminals and numbered each of them. Then I numbered each wire with it's corresponding terminal so that I could ensure that they went back correctly. I did the same thing for the ignition switch. In one of the attached photos, you can see the wires with their designation numbers.

Good luck.

post-37518-0-71514700-1453048180_thumb.j

post-37518-0-87584500-1453048193_thumb.j

post-37518-0-18724300-1453048204_thumb.j

I labelled everything on the looms.  But I am relying on the fuse box colour chart when I finally get to refit it all.  I checked before removing and it all seemed to be in order, so as long as they go back in the correct places......should be fine ^_^ ...I hope !!!!

Heck, it's only a few wires...how hard can it be !!!!!!!!!!!  :o

1974 tii

According to the fuse sticker, virtually all of the fuse positions in the fusebox are not correct (thanks to the PO of 41 years).  However, the fuses, the box, and the wiring work appropriately and well.  I want to change the placement of the input wires on the back to their original positions so the fuses match the fuse sticker.  

QUESTION:  Is such a change as simple as following the procedures and suggestions in this thread, i.e., labeling, photographing, and drawing and then unplugging and plugging, or am I missing something?

Larry

The Edd China tip is to use a label maker on the wiring harness, I removed the fuse box and wiring harness this weekend and took a lot of pictures. The color of the wires corresponded to the colors on the back of the fuse box.

1974 tii

According to the fuse sticker, virtually all of the fuse positions in the fusebox are not correct (thanks to the PO of 41 years).  However, the fuses, the box, and the wiring work appropriately and well.  I want to change the placement of the input wires on the back to their original positions so the fuses match the fuse sticker.  

QUESTION:  Is such a change as simple as following the procedures and suggestions in this thread, i.e., labeling, photographing, and drawing and then unplugging and plugging, or am I missing something?

Larry

It *should* be that easy but take a note of the size (cross sectional area) of the wires, what's actually on each circuit (pull the fuse or disconnect the terminal carefully and see what you lose).

Just tread carefully as no one knows what the PO has done. Sense check the fusing - are you putting a thin wire on a relatively large fuse?

The Edd China tip is to use a label maker on the wiring harness, I removed the fuse box and wiring harness this weekend and took a lot of pictures. The color of the wires corresponded to the colors on the back of the fuse box.

Or wrap a piece of masking tape on the wire and use a sharpie !!

post-46789-0-50906700-1453158895_thumb.j