Sign in to follow this  
02G

Acceptable front camber difference between L&R

6 posts / 1038 viewsLast Reply

Received a spec readout after doing alignment at a local tyre shop and the camber specs

are bothering me a bit.

Left :  -1deg 18'   and   Right :  -0deg 30' .

I must add that I have fixed camber plates installed, new strut mounts and new polybushes,

lower ball joints are also in good condition and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the

control arms. There car hasn't been in any accidents from what I can tell.

What would be an acceptable difference in camber angle between the two sides ?

And any recommendations on what I could do to rectify this, just short of installing adjustable

camber plates ?

thanks

02G

Was it level?  A lot of 2002's are off- level by half a degree, and boom, there's your measurement right there....

That said, I'd say half a degree won't be a problem IF, as tzei says, you're not getting any other symptoms...

t

FWIW:

According to the Blue Book:

Front camber should be 0*30' +/- 30'

This is stock with 150lb in each front seat, 150lb on the rear seat, full tank of gas and 46lb in trunk on LH side.

Rear camber should be 2* +/- 30' negative

Thanks for the replies.

It doesn't pull in a straight line,Tzei.

What do you mean by off level, TobyB ?

and why do a lot of 02s have this ?

The springs on the driver's side seem to sag a bit faster than the passenger's side.

I dunno why- fat Americans, maybe, or we drive the things long after a sane Deutzchlander would have traded up to an F-30.

But the cars do list, and if the alignment tech missed this, then you'll show more front camber on the right side than the left.

Find a level, flat bit of concrete, (not easy, I admit) and measure from your rockers- or better, from the rear subframe and front lower arm pivot bolts-

and see if your car sits level, side- to- side, to the ground.

The rear won't necessarily mirror this, as the wheels gain and lose prodigous amounts of camber as the car leans.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with shimming the springs to fix it, if the shims seat securely.  The maniacal way is to

swap spring side to side...

I could be wrong about this, of course.  You might have a bent strut.  Which is also not uncommon.

t