winstontj

Convert US turns into Euro turns?

61 posts / 5066 viewsLast Reply

This is most probably a repost. Sorry. Steve, I feel like I can't search for anything on the forum. I either don't know how or the search is terrible. Either way, I'm frustrated. I get garbage when I search on Google (but I'm not specifically telling Google to only search your domain). (sorry, being honest) What do I need to do? Is searching Google and specifying your domain the proper way to search these days?

Anyway... I just found four sets of Euro turns that I bought back in March, 2007 (Thanks someone with the last name Conard in Capitolal, CA!). Some are really good (2x unused NOS) and some are pretty shot (2x really corroded). The bad ones have horrible metal housings but great lenses. I also have 5-6 sets of US big/"bug eye" turn signals in various conditions. I see and understand the differences in lights, wiring and the little silver reflector/depth. 

Is there anything preventing me from shortening the US reflector strip and putting a euro lens onto a US/dual-filament bulb housing? 

Am I missing anything? Is there an aftermarket setup I can just buy rather than spending the time to fabricate my own?

Thanks. 

Jim Gerock has detailed how to modify Euro turns. in his 2002Ti Wannabe build thread. There may be an article under the Tutorial section in the blue header too.

Search Forums instead of google from the drop down menu, you will get better results.

Am I missing anything?

Yeah, I'd say so.... -KB

I considered modifying the internals of my us light to fit my euro turn signals, but after getting into it, it looked like way to much work. That's why I just converted the bulb holder to a dual filament holder

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/articles.html/_/technical-articles/electrical-and-ignition/european-turn-signal-wiring-r167

(edited)

Sorry. Steve, I feel like I can't search for anything on the forum. I either don't know how or the search is terrible. Either way, I'm frustrated. I get garbage when I search on Google (but I'm not specifically telling Google to only search your domain). (sorry, being honest) What do I need to do? Is searching Google and specifying your domain the proper way to search these days?

type a search term in the box on top right faq page. hit the little green magnifying glass next to the search box or just hit the enter key. done. search function on this site is awesome and ez to use. do not go out to google and mess with domains.

I just typed "euro turn signal" in the box and hit enter. a dozen threads came back with the info on conversion. search works.

Edited by mlytle

I think a Euro turn is worth only about one US turn right now- buy your Euro turns now, before they go up again!

heh

t

Here's another option...I make a kit, they are not 'euros', they are 'your owns'

because you make them yourself. You need good chrome frames and I send

you the rest for $66.00.  here are some pics, comparing to real 'euro' lenses,

I've had them on my car for 2 years now, work good, look good and they are

easily repairable if needed ( and cheaper than 'euros'!)

if interested,contact me at   [email protected]

post-39720-0-02394000-1453874550_thumb.j

post-39720-0-64747100-1453874574_thumb.j

post-39720-0-85576600-1453874692_thumb.j

post-39720-0-39107200-1453874714_thumb.j

On 1/27/2016 at 0:06 AM, bluebeem said:

Here's another option...I make a kit, they are not 'euros', they are 'your owns'

because you make them yourself. You need good chrome frames and I send

you the rest for $66.00.  here are some pics, comparing to real 'euro' lenses,

I've had them on my car for 2 years now, work good, look good and they are

easily repairable if needed ( and cheaper than 'euros'!)

if interested,contact me at   [email protected]

post-39720-0-02394000-1453874550_thumb.j

post-39720-0-64747100-1453874574_thumb.j

post-39720-0-85576600-1453874692_thumb.j

post-39720-0-39107200-1453874714_thumb.j

These could be very cool.   I like the home build action!

I think this is a great idea, especially if you have multiple sets that have poor plastic but good chrome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an industrial grade 3D scanner and printer in workshop. I don't have the actual lens made by bluebeem. I could print the lens but he needs to send me the 3D scan. Once I print the prototype, I can make a mould and remanufacture this in any colour or style such as the Italian clear lens style.

I have access to a CNC machine but not a 3D scanner.  If 3D models exist, I can make moulds to thermal form or vacuum form these lenses.  I am currently thinking about hand making the moulds by eye-balling the lenses.