jrkoupe

ever drive an 02 w/ close to 300hp???

20 posts / 2697 viewsLast Reply

...I just did.........its a wild thing.......and very intoxicating........turbo motor......not an m10...wow...hold on...

you must be very smooth..

(edited)

yep.  had 450hp. very entertaining....but not something i would want.  200ish seems to be a nice sweet spot for the 2002 chassis.

Edited by mlytle

My M2 dynoed 214 rwHp.  I guess that translates to approx. 250 hp at flywheel.  Not close to 300 but close enough for me.

My M2 dynoed 214 rwHp.  I guess that translates to approx. 250 hp at flywheel.  Not close to 300 but close enough for me.

Yep that's just about enough. ;-)

Joel, is that rwhp?

Actually I'll give Bob a pass, because if I recall correctly, his car has working a/c!

Cheers,

I wanted whatever Ray had

...ewwww....

t

Yep that's just about enough. ;-)

Joel, is that rwhp?

Actually I'll give Bob a pass, because if I recall correctly, his car has working a/c!

Cheers,

Ray, you recall correctly.  It doesn't work great, but it's pretty good for a '76 02.  Much better than the factory a/c that was on my '75 530i.

(edited)

rwhp?.....I would say no..owner was not sure......its boost was waay down as well...

Id say crank....

Nissan lump..can u guess?...... I don't want to give away too much as the owner is humble and hasn't shared much here yet...and hes here. Great guy.....

I agree w/ ML..Id say 200 ish is the sweet spot... for a modded 02..mabe 220.....it gives enough pucker response yet is not too much that you cant really drive it hard w/o it blowing up.....or always breaking traction...

you really couldn't nail this car hard....it felt as tho the tires/axles were just struggling to hard to hook up.......but w/ smooth steady inputs it was quite a rocket..I mean really.....no hyperbole.  0-60 was a waste of time..it happened too fast........ but 45 -100( I backed  off around there to be safe locally) was instantaneous.....

not sure of trans/linkage but it was  a 6 spd..and it was crazy short and clean....really wonderful.....and it came up thru the trans tunnel rearward of oe spot..so no reaching into 3rd...

wish I had more time w/ her........maybe at the track this summer if he gets her there..

this car would not be safe w/ many folx...

I would guess an m2 to be waaay more linear though in its delivery

just now  read up on boost numbers on these engines....hey, it could be close to 300 rwhp.....it was never dynoed.

Edited by jrkoupe

(edited)

The most important mod for a high-horsepower 02 (200 + at the wheels) in my opinion is a high-quality, welded-in cage that ties the chassis together. Otherwise, these cars are dangerous when combined with that type of power given the flex in their chassis and the fatigue of 40-yr old metal.

My M2 2.5 was dyno'd by The Racers' Group at 258 rear wheel HP and that was before the VAC 48mm throttle bodies/air horns, cylinder head port-matching and retuning of the Split Second piggyback system. Pre-cage, it was both terrifying and not fun.

When I had the cage built by Roger Hamlin at Sears Point, I could literally feel the black & white difference before leaving the parking lot. The car just felt totally tied together (because it was) and the steering & handling was immediate. The acceleration was also much more urgent because there was no longer any body flex and so the communication from right foot to rear wheels was suddenly NOW. The car feels balanced and is a blast to drive on both fast, windy roads and track.

The car also has front/rear shock tower braces, a third brace at the nose of the car near the radiator and welded-in supports between the firewall, frame rails and inner fenders.

I would very strongly recommend a complete, welded-in cage (tied into the firewall, front/rear shock towers, A & B pillars, etc) to anyone already spending the big dollars to attain this type of horsepower, and that goes for street and track day cars alike. The good news is that with a quality cage in place, I really don't see a problem with 300-400 HP in these cars (assuming, of course, all of the appropriate suspension/brake/diff mods and some driving ability).

COOP

Edited by COOP

(edited)

understood......but cage and street car?......well,  lets not start that convo....

Edited by jrkoupe