Sign in to follow this  
NullZwei

Flash Player Update Message

5 posts / 441 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

I don't know if I picked up a virus or not but within the last couple of days when I try to back out of the FAQ site, I get a message that says my Flash Player needs to be updated. Is this bogus or something I really need to do. Personally I don't see the connection between Flash and the FAQ and I've heard there are security issues with Flash Player so I am reluctant to do it unless I absolutely have to. Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by NullZwei

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

That'll tell you if you have Flash installed and which version. If your version isn't the most current it'll allow you to upgrade as well. 

I think what you might be seeing is a legit error message. Some of the advertisements on the site (like the banners at the top and between posts) use Flash --and depending on your security settings your browser may be blocking those Flash scripts because they come from a 3rd party, not directly from the FAQ. (Meaning the eBay or BluntTech adverts are links on the FAQ webpage to the outside 3rd party adverts.)

This means you may already have the most up-to-date Flash installed but because the ads are 3rd party they are blocked, hence the errors. I get them from time to time with browsers that require the user to specify an allow/block for plugins (Chromium Browser on Ubuntu 14.04LTS). I usually don't get them with Chrome or on Windows OS. 

What OS and browser are you using? Chrome comes with a built in free/open-source version of Flash so you shouldn't get errors on Chrome. I can't speak to IE as I don't use it at all. FF, Opera and Safari can be a bit troublesome as well. 

Couple guys here are programmers and probably know a whole lot more than I do about this stuff...

Thanks Winston. I just checked and I already have the latest version of Flash on my computer. Windows recently performed an update on my computer and shortly after that is when I started experiencing the problem. For whatever reason, I am not getting the Flash message now but rather I'm being told I need to update Java. I've been on the FAQ since it's inception and never had a similar problem previously.

Thanks Winston. I just checked and I already have the latest version of Flash on my computer. Windows recently performed an update on my computer and shortly after that is when I started experiencing the problem. For whatever reason, I am not getting the Flash message now but rather I'm being told I need to update Java. I've been on the FAQ since it's inception and never had a similar problem previously.

You can do the same with Java. I occasionally get those warnings but I'm on so many different machines I forget what is what. 

https://www.java.com/en/download/installed8.jsp

The world is phasing out Flash and Java. Expect the warnings to get worse over the next 2-5 years as we move to whatever the new trend is.