Sign in to follow this  
OriginalOwner

Rubber Gromment for the battery cable bracket

30 posts / 1998 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

On my '74tii is attached, to the top of the dipstick stem, a bracket through which the battery cable passes.  That bracket has a big hole it in, and in that hole is a rubber grommet which prevents the battery cable from touching the metal bracket.

At Lowe's I found this rubber grommet which I just installed:  perfect fit !!

Grommet_battery%20cable%20bracket.jpeg

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

(edited)

here is the new grommet installed in the bracket, with battery cable going through it and attached to the starter solenoid ..... at the top of the dipstick tube .... the yellow vertical rod being the dipstick ......

Rubber_Grommet%20for%20battery%20cable__

Rubber_Grommet%20for%20battery%20cable__

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

Every time for the last nineteen years that I have opened the bonnet, i've looked at that bracket and thought it needed a little something. Now I know what.

post-35003-0-90748400-1452939076_thumb.j

Yup- thanks for sharing Carl. Those same series of drawers at Lowe's (not so much Home Depot) has nylon washers for shimming up the tii accelerator linkage, chrome snap in caps for bumpers (fills in holes from old PO driving lights), more rubber grommets and assorted c-clips (like for the shift linkage).

Weird thing: I used to have 3 auto parts stores close to me, but only 1 remains open (Advance Auto). A really good Napa store moved and Fairfax Auto Parts adjacent to the BMW dealership was bulldozed. Last weekend, I drove around in circles trying to find a metric pan head (square shank) bolt for my alternator. Will visit Lowe's today.

(edited)

What! You're not supporting BMW OEM products?  :o  That same grommet would ONLY cost you $4 at the dealer.

Good find.

These might be the parts:

9 - Rubber grommet - 21 52 2 072 270 - used from May '69 to Jul '76 1 - BMW MSRP $1.00, $0.80 from getbmwparts.com
10 - Hose line - 64 53 1 353 270 - used from May '69 to Jul '76 - NLA, or the number changed

l58.png
Edited by John_in_VA

if you want instant gratification you can also pick one up at most autoparts stores

(edited)

JohnH,

yep, that's the bracket.  A couple of years ago when the original grommet finally fell out, I consulted my Redneck Fixit Book.  On page 17 it said,  "Y'all find a piece of bicycle inner tube 6 inches long.  Wrap it around the battery cable and slide it into the bracket so 3 inches protrudes from each side of the bracket.  Zip tie each end of the tube to the cable.  Clipping of the excess zip tie is optional.  You got 'r done."

So the moral of the story is:  the Redneck Fix worked very well.  I bought the grommet shortly after I did the Redneck.  I've had that one-eyed grommet hangin' on a nail over the workbench staring at me all this time and I finally got around to installing it, long before the Redneck Fixit needed re-Fixing .... kinda sad in a way, to unfix something that was working just fine, just so you could install something a bit closer to OEM.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

(edited)

Well Carl, you've gone and made me do it. Despite near 0c temps and a full 3/4" of snow I decided that I'de put it off log enough and would have to risk a journey across the patio to the garage.

I headed for my Grommet Collection;

post-35003-0-66724600-1453040979_thumb.j

Selected a suitable candidate, whipped off the starter lead, snuggled said grommet into its new home, thread the lead through and reattached to starter terminal 30;

post-35003-0-82933000-1453041254_thumb.j

It was hell, but someone had to do it. With frozen fingers I made it back into the house, with a warm glow of achievement. Why had I put it off for so long? It was so easy!! 

Regards

John.

Edited by JohnH

Well Carl, you've gone and made me do it. Despite near 0c temps and a full 3/4" of snow I decided that I'de put it off log enough and would have to risk a journey across the patio to the garage.

I headed for my Grommet Collection;

attachicon.gifIMG_3733.JPG

Selected a suitable candidate, whipped off the starter lead, snuggled said grommet into its new home, thread the lead through and reattached to starter terminal 30;

attachicon.gifIMG_3734.JPG

It was hell, but someone had to do it. With frozen fingers I made it back into the house, with a warm glow of achievement. Why had I put it off for so long? It was so easy!! 

Regards

John.

Now you need the fuel line retainer clip on the KF pump and the correct tii air cleaner. I have a pretty good air cleaner removed from my 73tii if interested - pm me.

(edited)

JohnH,

(sigh) .... and you never got to know the intrinsic joy & beauty of the interim Redneck Fixit.  But now you have a much more enthralling story of winter survival !!

jgerock,

as best I can recall, my '74tii never had that KF fuel line retainer clip.  Perhaps the '74's didn't have it ??  My fuel inlet hose travels upward from the gas filter next to the radiator, then does a 180 looping turn down onto the KF banjo fitting.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

jgerock,

as best I can recall, my '74tii never had that KF fuel line retainer clip.  Perhaps the '74's didn't have it ?

Probably long-lost or discarded.  Some have re-manufactured the clip.