gary

Is there a original excellent condition ( not restored) pre 74 for sale ?

40 posts / 2579 viewsLast Reply

I've been trying to find a 100 point or close, pre 1974

with sunroof for sale. I just want to know where and how much ? I'm not talking about a restored or modified car.

I can find million dollar Porsches Bugatti, and Ferraris but, no 02's

I've seen a few cars that had every body panel replaced

and many highly modified cars which were described as

Restored but couldn't find a excellent condition car

Anyone know of a high point car (with a price on it) ?

I have only seen such a car one time in my life.  I'm not as big into the scene as a lot of the folks on this board, but I have only seen one.  The particular one I saw had such high sentimental / emotional value that I'm sure it could not be bought.  

02s were bought as regular cars back in the day, so people drove them regularly.  Which means, 40 years later, there aren't many original, perfect cars around.  Unlike other cars (Ferraris, Porschses) which were bought as the "fun weekend car" and were always cherished and only driven on nice days.  

Layer on the increase in value that 02s have been experiencing, which I'm sure makes owners go into a "hold" mindset, and you have the current situation you are experiencing.

I wish you luck on your search.  It is going to be challenging, I think.  

Scott

(edited)

Scott & Fran Hughes have a very early 6v Manila 1600 with something like 16k miles on it, and is as nice an old Bimmer as you'll find.    And Meg Vanderliest has an equally nice 6v '67 with about 65-7k miles and every accessory from that year's Vilem B. Hahn catalog.  

So they're still out there...keep looking--lots more later roundies were sold than '67s so your chances are better...

mike

Edited by mike

Is there a original excellent condition ( not restored) pre 74 for sale

No, I wouldn't think so.  These cars weren't McLaren road cars or Ferrari 1- offs or even Jag XKE's- they were mass- produced sedans.

They weren't more than 90 points when they were new.

And they were used accordingly.

You might be happiest with a well- cared for car that's been sympathetically maintained...

t

just wondering....why?

what would u do w/ it?.......put it away....I wouldnt think youd drive her?..

(edited)

​ Toe B

"..no more than 90 when new....."

lol....that's true of mostly all restos..

the perfect muscle cars now?..they never existed when built.

Edited by jrkoupe

I have only seen such a car one time in my life. I'm not as big into the scene as a lot of the folks on this board, but I have only seen one. The particular one I saw had such high sentimental / emotional value that I'm sure it could not be bought.

02s were bought as regular cars back in the day, so people drove them regularly. Which means, 40 years later, there aren't many original, perfect cars around. Unlike other cars (Ferraris, Porschses) which were bought as the "fun weekend car" and were always cherished and only driven on nice days.

Layer on the increase in value that 02s have been experiencing, which I'm sure makes owners go into a "hold" mindset, and you have the current situation you are experiencing.

I wish you luck on your search. It is going to be challenging, I think.

Thanks I appreciate your reply, that makes sense about how some other cars are so well preserved.

Scott

just wondering....why?

what would u do w/ it?.......put it away....I wouldnt think youd drive her?..

I'm not trying to buy a car like this, I'm just curious about

How tightly held they are.

This was not a post (WTB) to purchase

I'm just curious about the whole 2002 world

I wake up everyday and look at this forum and section under "parts and cars for sale", I look at ebay etc and see literally several 2002s and also every now and then a tii being put up for sale in the US. I look at the convenience with which a lot of the forum members trade 02 items internally with such great ease, so many parts are readily available from people like Blunt and I think how much things would be easier if I was there in the States restoring my car.

In a country like Australia (and there may be similar other countries) - there are not as many 2002/tii in the country as there are in the States. The people who have them don't want to get rid of them and the people who want to get rid of them tend to do it because they are rust buckets. Furthermore through the whole year you would be lucky to find a handful of them for sale here (at least on line). So you really have to have some solid patience down under to find a good one. I personally waited 7 years to find a good one. Mainly because I was adamant to get an early style tii.

When I was hunting for a car I had some very high standards - It must not be molested in any shape or form, no accidents, no rust, must be straight down the line etc etc..... As a novice and a uni graduate with little money,  I soon realised that I was dreaming cause that sort of an 02 is nearly impossible to find! After 40 years even if someone was to have bought a pristine clean 2002 straight from the factory and stored it untouched for 40 years - that car would need some sort of TLC. 

Did mine have all original panels - yes

Did mine have rust - fortunately no structural but cosmetic - yes 

After a great deal of negotiation I bought my Golf Yellow 2002tii - Even after negotiating I paid a little bit more then what I would have liked to but if I didn't then I may have had to wait for a few more years (life is just too short).

From when I bought my car to now - I have already seen a hike in prices (not much but a rise none the less).

In response to your curiosity - In my personal inexperienced opinion, the availability of these 2002 cars is getting tougher with time and even harder if you live in say places like Aus. 

If you do find a car that ticks all your criteria boxes then be prepared to pay good coin for it. And you may even have to be quick in settling.

Good luck with your hunt!

Raj

Rapandi - I couldn't have said it better. I paid top dollar in 1990. A lot less than todays $$$, AND still with work to do.

Some work I've had to do twice, since I've had the car so long!

To stay on topic: keep looking, but expect to pay top dollar.