Vicleonardo1

Oxidized E-Brake boot. Treatment options?

11 posts / 681 viewsLast Reply

I have seen a few forum discussions on how to treat oxidized rubber trim and seals.

But I have a pretty oxidized and dried out rubber E brake boot. Not cracked yet....

It seems to me that it may be pretty porous and its surface is pretty rough. I would like to try to clean and treat this without destroying it.

There are a bunch of different products, but they seemed to geared for dealing with smooth vinyl and rubber trim (tires included)  I am also not sure to use a rubber cleaner designed to prep a tire for treatment as it may be too harsh. 

I would like to clean it, keep it soft without putting a glossy black surface on it that will crack.

Has anyone tried to do this? I guess if I screw it up I can buy a leather cover, but I would like to save $65 to cover my mistake.  

Thank you. 

i'd ask for a replacement in the parts wanted forum...esaier, less work and maybe cheaper that treating the old one....i'm unaware of any product that restores old, cracked rubber

i'd ask for a replacement in the parts wanted forum...esaier, less work and maybe cheaper that treating the old one....i'm unaware of any product that restores old, cracked rubber

I guess if there was a great product, I would use it on my face.....

I guess if there was a great product, I would use it on my face.....

Vinyl is different than leather!  Zymol makes some good vinyl cleaner & conditioner products, as does Griot's Garage.

Looking at realoem, this appears to be the part # for the boot:

Part Number 34411101501
Part Name PROTECTIVE CAP
MSRP $27.63
Online Price from getbmwparts.com $22.10

Or you might try this:  http://www.amazon.com/einszett-914806-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

Or this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-LEATHER-E-BRAKE-BOOT-FITS-OVER-RUBBER-FITS-BMW-2002-1602-TI-TII-/390966185461?hash=item5b07668df5:g:GQgAAOSwLa9UWlUN&vxp=mtr

I always found the rubber ebrake boot to be fugly.

Cheers,

ps there's a new rubber one on ebay for $40 I think...

Redline MTL rub it on brush it on rub it off. Soak as long as possible but don't tell anybody they will think you're crazy

Try some glycerine

If you were to add nitric acid, you got nitroglycerin. If you were to add sodium nitrate and a dash of sawdust, you got dynamite. 

Geez! I have like 3 or 4 of those in my parts stash. Anyone need one? $10 ea, including shipping. They're not doing me any good. :)