yezzir

Sunroof wind deflector

10 posts / 1591 viewsLast Reply

I'm wondering about what kind of wind deflectors people are using on their sunroofs, if they do use one. Opinions? I'm interested in getting one, but couldn't find a specific one.

(edited)

There were two factory styles:

1.) pop-up deflectors that deploy when the roof is opened (look great, make lots of noise, expensive);

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/127013-wtb-sunroof-deflector/

2.) plexiglass roof-top screens (look not so great -- although the color of the car has much to do with how good or bad these look, less noisy than the pop-ups, inexpensive).

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/125227-original-bmw-20021600-sunroof-wind-deflector-60-shipped/

There are LOTS of threads on sunroof air deflectors which provide more details, including contact info for Stan, a forum member who has reproduced the pop-up variety very nicely!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

The factory, pop-up variety--if you're lucky and find an early (pre 1977 or so) Porsche 911 in a salvage yard, they had the popup wind deflectors as factory equipment--and they fit a 2002 perfectly.  Wrecked 911s are the source of both of mine, although I found 'em many years ago.  

I've seen one or two 2002s (both 76s) with these pop up deflectors that appeared to be factory installed, but section 54 in the 2002 factory parts book doesn't show any of those parts.  The sunroof mechanism, trim and deflector were made by Golde, so back in the day the deflector could have been ordered through Golde.  

mike

...if you're lucky and find an early (pre 1977 or so) Porsche 911 in a salvage yard...

mike

Good luck with that lol. Even totaled 911s are getting ridiculous prices these days.

(edited)

The factory, pop-up variety--if you're lucky and find an early (pre 1977 or so) Porsche 911 in a salvage yard, they had the popup wind deflectors as factory equipment--and they fit a 2002 perfectly. Wrecked 911s are the source of both of mine, although I found 'em many years ago.

I've seen one or two 2002s (both 76s) with these pop up deflectors that appeared to be factory installed, but section 54 in the 2002 factory parts book doesn't show any of those parts. The sunroof mechanism, trim and deflector were made by Golde, so back in the day the deflector could have been ordered through Golde.

mike

And I believe, Mike, that both were factory accessories, but not factory options: the pop-up style being offered earlier and not through the Hoffman dealer network. I was in the market for a sunroof deflector beginning in '73, when I bought the '70. At that time, no deflectors were available through U.S. dealers in my neck of the woods -- eastern Pennsylvania. But people were bringing them from Germany. I may be wrong to assume that these units were coming from BMW dealers, but I have recollections that reputable owners told me that that was the case. At least by sometime after the '75 model year '02s arrived, the plexiglass deflectors became available at U.S. dealers. Was it related to the inception of BMW NA? I don't know. I totaled my '70 in '74, before the plexiglass deflectors were available at my local dealer, but a friend's father purchased one -- from that dealer -- for his '76 in late '75 or early '76.

There are actually quite a few of the pop-ups around; my needy '73 tii even came into my possession with one -- neither the seller nor I realized it because the sunroof cables were long broken and the sunroof was, thus, inoperable for at least two decades. It's hard to imagine they all originated in 911's and the like, or through private purchases directly from Golde. Like many '02 details, we will probably never know for certain! RealOEM.com shows deflectors that are roughly similar, but certainly not identical, to both styles of deflectors:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2215-USA-04-1976-114-BMW-2002&diagId=54_0216

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Scan from a page out of an 1973 original BMW accesories brochure:

post-36854-0-26235800-1452555942_thumb.j

Both BMW deflector types visible down on the right.

Regards, Lars.

Lars, I have a bunch of BMW accessory brochures that I picked up new from US BMW dealers in various years, and have never seen the pop-up deflector in any of 'em.  Wonder if that was in the Europe only brochure, along with other stuff that wasn't available here.  Had I seen 'em in such a catalog in the US back when they were new, I would have bought one, as the buffeting from an unequipped sunroof at speed drove me nuts.  I'll take the extra wind noise from the pop-up deflector any day!

Thanks for the new bit of education.

mike