revolve40

WTB complete tii airbox/snorkel

12 posts / 505 viewsLast Reply

Hey folks,

I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm asking for unobtanium.  Currently, my tii engine has a K/N cone filter stuck on the intake and I'd prefer to have the original airbox and snorkel system.  Please post here or pm with any leads or info.

Thanks!

Pic for details:

2002tiaircleaner.jpg

(edited)

Embarrassingly, I haven't done my homework to know the differences, but my instincts tell me the USA version.

You haven't mentioned what year your tii is. It makes a difference even among US-spec tii's. '72-'73 US-spec tii's do not have a vacuum limiting valve on the airbox, which '74 US-spec tii's have. The latter cars came from the factory with vacuum-retard distributors and an additional port on their intake plenums (accumulator), which fed the vacuum limiting valve. In addition, all US-spec airboxes -- in contrast to Euro-spec airboxes -- have a fitting for the line running from the trunk-mounted fuel expansion tank. In essence, gas fumes from the fuel tank were recycled into the airbox. Yes, lots of US-spec '74's have had their vacuum retard distributors replaced with purely mechanical units by now -- obviating the need for the vacuum limiting valve -- and many US-spec '02s have had their fuel expansion tanks un-hooked -- obviating the need for the nipple fitting on the airbox -- but if these details matter to you, you should be looking for not just an airbox but the right airbox.

There's lots of discussions on this forum regarding these issues.

Regards

Steve

Edited by Conserv

(edited)

You haven't mentioned what year your tii is. It makes a difference even among US-spec tii's. '72-'73 US-spec tii's do not have a vacuum limiting valve on the airbox, which '74 US-spec tii's have. The latter cars came from the factory with vacuum-retard distributors and an additional port on their intake plenums (accumulator), which fed the vacuum limiting valve. In addition, all US-spec airboxes -- in contrast to Euro-spec airboxes -- have a fitting for the line running from the trunk-mounted fuel expansion tank. In essence, gas fumes from the fuel tank were recycled into the airbox. Yes, lots of US-spec '74's have had their vacuum retard distributors replaced with purely mechanical units by now -- obviating the need for the vacuum limiting valve -- and many US-spec '02s have had their fuel expansion tanks un-hooked -- obviating the need for the nipple fitting on the airbox -- but if these details matter to you, you should be looking for not just an airbox but the right airbox.

There's lots of discussions on this forum regarding these issues.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the info! Turns out I do not need the box with the bracket for the limiting valve. The car is a '76 with a tii crate motor (not sure which year) but does not have the fittings from the manifold that you describe.

Edited by revolve40

Thanks for the info! Turns out I do not need the box with the bracket for the limiting valve. The car is a '76 with a tii crate motor (not sure which year) but does not have the fittings from the manifold that you describe.

If you ever wish to know it, the engine number on your engine block -- if it has one on the flat boss just aft of the starter -- as well as casting dates on the block, head, intake runners (if they are aluminum), injection pump, and accumulator will reveal the dates of the various components of your car's engine.

Good luck,

Steve

If you ever wish to know it, the engine number on your engine block -- if it has one on the flat boss just aft of the starter -- as well as casting dates on the block, head, intake runners (if they are aluminum), injection pump, and accumulator will reveal the dates of the various components of your car's engine.

Good luck,

Steve

Excellent--thanks so much!

What year is your car.  There are two different airboxes, 72-73 and 74.  I have both.  Located in Vacaville,CA.  Please reply to me at:

shermanmartinez at Hotmail dot com

I have a purchase pending.  If it falls through I will reach out.  Thanks!