Stuart

tii Brake Boost Rebuilding

8 posts / 731 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

A couple questions. 

What wears out/fails?

What does a rebuild cost? 

Can someone recommend a   reliable rebuilder?

Stuart

Edited by Spike

(edited)

1. I don't know precisely why most boosters get overhauled -- mine was preventative rather than in response to a failure -- but the diaphragms do deteriorate and fail, especially if exposed to brake fluid.

2. $400-$500 at 2002haus, unknown at White Post Restorations.

3. I can personally recommend 2002haus.com; I'd bet, based on their general reputation, that White Post is good as well.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

especially if exposed to brake fluid
Keep the inter-seal bleed hold open on the MC and brake fluid won't get into the booster.  It will drip on the frame and peel the paint but that's the lesser of the two evils.

You can't go wrong with Rob at o2 Haus.  White post did mine many years ago.  They did a beautiful job, plating etc.,

Dummy question, how do you know you booster is going / is bad other than no brakes?

You won't have 'no brake' you will have hard brakes and need to push harder to stop in the same distance. Big vacuum leak? Turn off engine and pump the pedal, it should get harder along with the sound of releasing vacuum. When it stops releasing that is all assistance removed and the base hydraulics you can feel. Keep your foot down on the brake and start the engine. You should feel the pedal move downwards under your foot.