Redtail

How to keep dash uncracked

28 posts / 3263 viewsLast Reply

Hey guys, I am lucky enough to have an '02 with an uncracked dash, though I am pretty sure it was replaced by the PO at some point. My question is: how do I keep it from developing cracks? Just wipe it down with some vinyl conditioner every once in a while, or is there a more recommended technique? Thanks

Use a sunshade on sunny days. Don't let the car freeze. Don't use Armorall, use something akin to Zymöl Vinyl to treat the dash. Temperature and time take their toll. Despite being careful, I noticed a new crack on my lower dash this past fall while on a drive.

Easy.

Store it properly. 

See below.

t

post-32364-0-44380400-1452375180.jpg

Toby didn't say, but that Mason jar is full of nitrogen.

Just prepare for the inevitable :)

Or have it covered and buy more time.

Cheers,

post-9251-0-39066600-1452377697_thumb.jp

Haha thanks for the advice guys. I acutally drive my car though at times I can understand the hermetically sealed container route - that would probably help with rust too. 

I believe the vinyl and foam shrinks over the metal framework from heat, over time.  I'm not sure that cold produces the same effect. 

I recently found a perfect top section that has been stored since the 80s.  Obviously not in hot sunlight, but not frozen either.   

I would agree that a sunscreen is a good measure, although putting a nice DashMat velour cover over would be easier, attractive and easily removable for bragging sessions. :D

I don't have any experience with Armorall doing damage, but warm soapy water is probably enough to keep your existing dash clean without putting ANY chemicals on it.

Larry Schwarz has a cool 2002 sunshield in his 73tii. Picture from 2009 Vintage at the Vineyards (Shelton)

69519c77.jpg

I've been using a cheap (freebie) folding sun shield in my tii.  Will start using some old towels on the dash and rear seat back in bright sun.

AAA90D60-811C-44E9-ABAE-949C21BA91AC_zps

Back around 1982,  I thoroughly cleaned the red basketweave seats in my 66 VW, then used some Armor All protectant thinking I was good to go.  First cold snap we had made the seats crack when I sat in the car.  After that, I never used that stuff even though it has most likely been reformulated several times since then.

Come to think of it my car came with one of those windshield sun shields in the trunk when I bought it. Maybe that's the reason for the nice dash. I'll try to dig it out of the back of my garage!

I've used a car cover as much as possible when the car is outside.  I've kept the dash soaked in ArmorAll.  So far, so good, no cracks.

Cheers,

Carl

The dash in my '69 was perfect for over 25 years until the night it was -28 here in Dayton...and it cracked.  

Prepare for the inevitable.  It's gonna crack eventually, like aging, you can slow it down but not stop it.  

Think of the cracks as adding patina to your car.   I do...

mike

Im not a fan of Armorall, but I have a sunshield like this that I put up anytime I can. I also point nose towards the South or in the shade if I can. Usually if possible, I leave the window open a crack too to let the hot air out.

desc_382908397_00.jpg

Trying to keep the dash from extreme temperatures and UV radiation as much as possible should help to "buy time". But you will not be able to totally avoid the plasticizers to disappear from the top coat vinyl foil.

As the vinyl (similar to the Skai material on the seats) isn´t open-pored like e.g. real leather to my opinion Armor All and all the other chemicals can´t have any durable effects. You can only apply those to the outside of the material´s surface but they don´t penetrate into it. It´s not like leather grease that you can really massage in. You´ll maybe have a nice and shiny looking dash for some days but it doesn´t help a bit concerning the vinyl´s internal structure or aging process.

Regards, Lars. 

Trying to keep the dash from extreme temperatures and UV radiation as much as possible should help to "buy time". But you will not be able to totally avoid the plasticizers to disappear from the top coat vinyl foil.

As the vinyl (similar to the Skai material on the seats) isn´t open-pored like e.g. real leather to my opinion Armor All and all the other chemicals can´t have any durable effects. You can only apply those to the outside of the material´s surface but they don´t penetrate into it. It´s not like leather grease that you can really massage in. You´ll maybe have a nice and shiny looking dash for some days but it doesn´t help a bit concerning the vinyl´s internal structure or aging process.

Regards, Lars. 

Ok, vinyl isn't open-pored, but if you treat the dash from the backside, would that help? What i mean is, i have uncracked dash, which is not mounted on the car yet. So i can treat it the dash foam directly with some of those dash milks and preparations with UV-protection, so if the foam absorb it, would that help? Or not?

Park when the car with the front pointing to the north.   The perfect dash-topper would be an absolutely opaque reflective material with a dash of insulation under the reflective later. Not good while driving but when you can't point it to the north while parking.....  (all of this when it is not parked in the climate controlled nitrogen filled mason jar.  UV light and heat are your enemies.)