Frank Nowakowski

New guy with 2002 questions

10 posts / 819 viewsLast Reply

Back in 1973 I owned a 69 2002 then in 1976 I bought a new Polaris silver 2002 which I kept until 1979 when I moved from NJ to Montana.

I've been without a 2002 far too long. I'd like to buy something , doesn't have to be a 76 2002. I prefer a stock looking car, but mechanical upgrades are OK.

I need to get educated as I'd like to buy another car sometime this year. It wouldn't be a daily driver, instead a fair weather car.

But living 50 miles from my nearest town and most any ride I take here  to Missoula or Bozeman is a few hundred miles round trip it needs to be roadworthy and capable of 70-80 mph for sustained periods of time.

Suggestions?

FN in MT

That sounds like any half decent 02 to me. Really just depends upon what floats yer boat and how much money you have as to the specific model and age.

Good advice for a driver is to buy the best you can afford and body is ultimately more important than mechanical since everything mechanical can be fixed (and you naturally will go through it to a certain extent to get it to a reliable point). If you are not required to DD it then you can experiment a bit more.

Good luck and check back often, this is a great site with great members.

First thing is not to be in a rush, find the right 2002. Folks have looked for a couple years sometime to get that nice car they feel they can work with. Study up on what's happening with the cars now. Hear (2002faq) is a good place to kind of get a feel for what the cars are like and working on them. There's several books available to read up on the 2002. It might help to get some specification together of what you want in a car. One of the things on the list could be a 5 speed OD transmission if you want to drive 70 - 80 mph for periods of time. One of the major things to look for is rust it hides everywhere in these cars you can deal with some rust but you really want something that's solid with minimal rust. Everything else on the car can be fixed or upgraded at an expense you can handle over time but body work takes special people and it's really expensive. If you can go to the dry climate area to look for your car. They seem to have the least amount of rust. Southern California, Nevada, Parts of Texas to mention a few. Think through what it is you want in the car and what you want it to do. Then have fun shopping and remember to have any perspective car checked out by someone that knows the 2002. Good luck!

But living 50 miles from my nearest town and most any ride I take here  to Missoula or Bozeman is a few hundred miles round trip 

Given your brief description it sounds like you may be around Butte?  

As has been mentioned,  looks like you need a pretty typical car with a decent 5-speed swap.  There are a handful of 02/e30 guys in eastern Idaho/ Western Montana.  There's a decent bmw independent shop that is familiar with 2002's in Four Corners just outside of Bozeman.

Hey FN,

Welcome to the site. Like willie002 said, take your time. This site is really phenomenal and has so much information. I am in the process of resurrecting my '76 and have found it invaluable. People here are very helpful in finding answers to your 2002 problems or questions. Look up the color chart on 2002's(links are here on the site) and decide which is the one you prefer. Look at the years(I really like the look of the "ugly" "diving board" bumpers on my '76..hey, beauty is in the eye... :) ) and decide on the features, etc. 

My best advice is to start with the "cars for sale" section(drag your cursor over Forums and then click on that section). Start reading it everyday or when you can and click on the ones that have a lot of replies. You will find out so many things to look for and it will give you a good idea of the price for what you are looking.

Again, don't rush, take your time and find the right one.

One last thing.... drive it as much as possible, these cars are a lot of fun.

Philip

(edited)

Given your brief description it sounds like you may be around Butte?  

As has been mentioned,  looks like you need a pretty typical car with a decent 5-speed swap.  There are a handful of 02/e30 guys in eastern Idaho/ Western Montana.  There's a decent bmw independent shop that is familiar with 2002's in Four Corners just outside of Bozeman.

I live north of Helena near Craig.  So a round trip to Gt Falls or Helena is right at 100 miles. So a car that's comfortable at 70-80 is what I need.  Which may mean a 5 speed conversion.

Good to know there's a shop out by 4 Corners. Thanks.

Appreciate the responses Gentleman. I'm headed to Vegas this next week, then off to Phoenix  for a few days then  out to south west New Mexico and home. I'll be checking Craigs list, newspapers, etc for any 2002's.

Edited by FN in MT

There is a pretty nice '76 on bring a trailer right now. It is in SoCal and is not a factory color. It looks well cared for and a great driver.

Yes I'm in with the don't rush it took me 4 years to find the right 02 project for a price I could live with and I almost lost that car only 2 hours after it got posted I called. During the next few hours he got offers higher than what he listed glad he picked me to be the new care taker.

Thanks,

-Sevag

Agree with taking your time and the 5spd for the extended highway driving.

Here's a great resource for searching nationwide CL listings: makemodelsearch.com. Make sure to look at both the 2002 and Classic categories because the give you slightly different results. You'll notice that there's a Tii that's been for sale in Bozeman for a while now: http://bozeman.craigslist.org/cto/5329576312.html

Welcome and good luck with your search.

James

Agree with taking your time and the 5spd for the extended highway driving.

Here's a great resource for searching nationwide CL listings: makemodelsearch.com. Make sure to look at both the 2002 and Classic categories because the give you slightly different results. You'll notice that there's a Tii that's been for sale in Bozeman for a while now: http://bozeman.craigslist.org/cto/5329576312.html

Welcome and good luck with your search.

James

The car in Livingston is about 3 hours away...WISH it didn't have the ugly stripe!  I'm going to make an appt to at least look at it as well as hopefully drive it. It's been 35 years since I drove a 2002. I'm hoping that old technology can still make me happy.

Going to look into the "make model search" site as well.

Thank You.