TobyB

Why you make sure your engine ground's solid

8 posts / 1134 viewsLast Reply

I ran across this pic-

I had swapped the engine on the beater,

(starting well after lunch) and in the frenzy to get home for dinner,

forgot to tighten the bracket that supports the rear of the starter.  It was there,

just a bit loose.

Car mostly ran fine, for months, but every so often, it cranked really slowly.

And then the choke would be a bit stiffer than usual.

One morning, it did it pretty consistently, and so I popped open the hood,

stuck my head under, and started poking around.  The choke cable was in

the way, so I started to pull it out of the way to see how the grounding strap looked.

Yep, it wasn't quite red- hot anymore, but it was close enough...

Check your engine grounds!

t

post-32364-0-22614900-1452193235_thumb.j

"Resistance is futile" applies?

I learnt more than I cared to about auto electrics during my megasquirt install, but especially about the importance of good grounds.

post-38231-0-48060700-1452196712_thumb.j

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago ..... except it caught fire.  Replacing the front half of the harness in an apartment complex is great fun.

Toby, ouch nothing hurts quite like being burned. I very much appreciate the ground strap discussion, one time when I used to drive my BMW 1800 TISA as a daily driver, it failed on the way to work one important morning. I discovered that I had done a shitty job bolting my ground strap down the last time I had the motor out. I always check my grounds after that time.

I have a friend who had a triumph TR three, which would intermittently run strangely. He spent several thousand dollars, and finally discovered that the ground strap was loose. Of course English cars have a positive ground but never mind, the electrical understanding of physics with a positive ground

boggles my mind.

Thank you again for All your intellectual straightforwardness, I always enjoy your posts and excellence of your understanding. Sincerely, Peter

P.S. First photograph: I am thinking. Second photograph ouch that hurts

post-39399-0-58126400-1452228900_thumb.j

post-39399-0-19845600-1452229293_thumb.j

So just out of curiosity - Toby the reason that happened to your ground strap was because it was not bolted on properly? Or was the earth wire of poor quality? Just something I need to watch out for as I eventually put my electrics back together.

Thanks for the heads up...

Raj

It was tight, but it was bolted to a bracket that was loose.

Just a 'little' loose...

t

Yeah i once touched a stainless steel braided nitrous line to the positive terminal of the battery while changing a nitrous jet. I was holding the line in my hand and ended up with a textured weave pattern burned into my hand.