jrhone

Need a starter...which one? Again....

13 posts / 1058 viewsLast Reply

OK...I know there are 3 options right?  I would like to pick one up locally in SoCal so that may be the defining factor.  I went with a $70 rebuild 5 years ago...and it died today.  I think I'm going with a Bosch Reman this time.  The last time I went with a Bosch SR441x.  Its from the M30.  Lighter than the E10 starter and cheaper than the M3 starter (SR440x) as well as more powerful, 1.7Kw...any reason not to find one of these again? Ireland has the SR440x on their site, maybe I can jet up there and grab one, or auto zone?  Pep Boys? O'Reilly's? Dealer?  Any ideas?

Unless I get a better option...Autozone has a duralast SR441x starter...$120.  Oh and there is one open 24 hours 30 minutes from me with it in stock...I MAY pick it up at 11pm tonight...lol

Unless I get a better option...Autozone has a duralast SR441x starter...$120.  Oh and there is one open 24 hours 30 minutes from me with it in stock...I MAY pick it up at 11pm tonight...lol

less money and they give a you lifetime warranty

Unless it's in a Bosch box, I wouldn't trust auto parts store branded electrical products anymore.  They usually have them rebuilt as cheap as possible, and only replace the broken parts.  

Yeah, lifetime warranties are great.  But, on your 6th alternator replacement, you start to value the cost of your time and hassle.  

I wouldn't trust auto parts store branded electrical products anymore.  They usually have them rebuilt as cheap as possible, and only replace the broken parts.  

that probably applies to anyone & everyone who sells rebuilt parts...including BMW, Bosch, etc

i'd bet there are just as many failures with new, more expensive parts as there are with like rebuilt

I installed one of these aftermarket clones of the SR441X when my starter died last month. Took the risk, since I paid only $65 shipped to Puerto Rico.

Working well so far!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-17237-FIT-BMW-535i-535is-635CSi-735i-735iL-L6-3-5L-M5-L6-3-6L-88-93-/251976935976?fits=Year%3A1989%7CMake%3ABMW%7CModel%3A535i%7CSubmodel%3ABase%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A3.5L&hash=item3aaafeea28:g:MFEAAOxy0x1TPpPj&vxp=mtr

that probably applies to anyone & everyone who sells rebuilt parts...including BMW, Bosch, etc

Yeah, one of my 6 alternator failures was a genuine Bosch, but I wasn't ready to call them out on it yet due to small sample size.  The other 5 were Duralast and Advance Auto's premium brand, forget the name.  Some just lost power, some had bearings that went bad quickly, one Advance one had a big obvious bend in the pulley and I didn't even take it out of the store.

I installed one of these aftermarket clones of the SR441X when my starter died last month. Took the risk, since I paid only $65 shipped to Puerto Rico.

Working well so far!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-17237-FIT-BMW-535i-535is-635CSi-735i-735iL-L6-3-5L-M5-L6-3-6L-88-93-/251976935976?fits=Year%3A1989%7CMake%3ABMW%7CModel%3A535i%7CSubmodel%3ABase%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A3.5L&hash=item3aaafeea28:g:MFEAAOxy0x1TPpPj&vxp=mtr

Yeah. I have had 2 of those in 5 years. It was replaced under the warranty. Now it's gone bad. It wasn't this seller. Just one like this seller. Same area. Similar price. That's why I was gonna go with a store this time.

There is no substtiute for the orginal one that came with car. Take your original one if you still have it or buy one from members here and take it locall repair shop and have it rebuild. If you talk to some old timers that are in automotive electrcial repair business they will tell you no substutie for what came with your car from factory and they tell that is true for even modern cars. 

Reman, Duralast GOLD, etc., etc. are only made to disappoint you.

Yeah, a trusted local rebuilder is your best bet.  I've been trying to get in touch with our one local rebuilder, but haven't found him yet.

The parts store stuff may last a long while if you're lucky, but its a roll of the dice.

Dunnno if you can still get the parts separately (would think you could) but rebuilding a starter motor isn't that difficult so long as the armature and field coils are OK.  Solenoid replacement is a few minutes work, and so long as you have a heavy duty soldering gun you can solder in new brushes with minimum effort.  A Bosch stockist should have those parts separately (or scrounge a good solenoid from a junk starter motor).

If the rear armature shaft bushing is spinning with the armature (a common failure since the brass bushing is pressed into a plastic sleeve that disintegrates over time) drop me an e-mail and I'll send you the column I did on how to replace the original bushing with one that doesn't need the sleeve (which isn't available as a spare part anyway).  

cheers

mike