jrhone

Car won't start!

14 posts / 691 viewsLast Reply

Ok. Car started fine. Drive to work. Sat in the parking lot. Had the key on for maybe 30 seconds. Then went to start and nothing. All electrical stays on. Hear a click behind the cluster. Starter doesn't do anything. No clicking. Just turn the key and literally no changes. All lights are still in and voltage is good. Ideas??

Could be...I started the car. It was running. I decided to play with the app for a few minutes. Turned the car off but left the ignition on to connect to the dizzy with the phone. It gave me an error about not being able to load the curves. I shrugged and then decided to park in a different area at work so I went to start the car and nothing. When I disabled it with the immobilized the starter still turned and it started then died. In this case the starter does not engage. That's why I think it's something else unless the dizzy has the ability to cut power to the starter?

Ok it's definitely not the dizzy. Is there a relay that starts the car? Could it be the ignition switch? The starter is fairly new. A few years old. Also the car has had zero starting issues and the battery is also new as well as the alternator and voltage regulator. So all the electrical works. Lights. Voltage is 13 volts. Turn the key and the lights don't blink at all. Stays bright. Starter doesn't turn at all.

You can always run a jumper wire from the + battery terminal to the small diameter wire on the starter solenoid and see if that makes the starter spin.  If so (and the car actually starts once the starter is functioning) then I'd suspect either the starter relay or the ignition switch.  Could be something as simple as a loose wire at the ign switch...

Let us know whatcha find,.

mike

Looked for a loose wire at the switch. Couldn't find anything. Will try to run a wire from the batter to the starter solenoid tonight.

So I tried to run a jumper from the spade on the starter to the battery and nothing but a few sparks. No movement or noise from the starter. So may the starter solenoid went. Is it normal for it to go without warning??

(edited)

Yep, solenoids can just give up the ghost without much (or any) warning...after all they're nothing but a really big relay.  If the windings give out, there's no more electromagnet, and that's what engages makes the 100+ amp contact that energizes the starter motor.  

If you can do this without grounding the cable--be VERY careful--connect one end of a jumper cable to the big terminal on the solenoid, making sure it's not touching anything but the big terminal--it's kinda crowded in there--and then the other end to the positive battery terminal.  That should bypass the solenoid and energize the starter motor itself.  If nothing happens, then the starter itself is dead.  If you can't perform the above test without the danger of the jumper cable touching the underside of the manifold, the dipstick or something else down there, pull the starter motor and bench test it.

mike

Edited by mike

I pulled out the multi tester.  Pulled the wire that is connected to the ignition switch off the starter and checked when I turned the key.  13.5 volts.  So there is voltage getting to the starter and the starter isn't turning...so its time for a new starter!

(edited)

Have you tried tap tap tapping on it with a small hammer?

It is not much fun having to do that while the ferry is unloading, but it got me going.

I changed that starter in the airport parking lot, before running to meet my mother's plane.

(not an 02, starter under the suburban)

You may be due for new, but that being the case, what do you have to lose if you beat on it a little?

There is something therapudic cathartic about picking up a hammer, while working on a car.

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

(edited)

Tii Tech Tip:  Beating with a hammer.  

The Hammer Method (whether large or small) also works on a tii fuel pump to get it spinning.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

Using a hammer to pound a part into submission sounds sooooo crude!  It's so much more elegant to say "percussive maintenance/repair"!

mike