burndog

Battery life

19 posts / 1275 viewsLast Reply

For all you NE guys that have to store your 02's for extended periods of time... How do you keep your batteries charged and extend the life of the battery?

My battery cranking amps seems to drop below necessary for my Megasquirted car to start in just a week or so...

Okay then. Manual trans? Park on hills only. Good to go.

Really, a unanamous Battery MINDER response. I was hoping for something more sexy. But, that's what I was considering.

Thanks!

No - I chose the Battery MINDer over the Battery Tender.

tender or minder they all serve the same purpose

I have both Battery Tenders and Griot's Garage battery minders....the Griot's are more high tech(and more $) but accomplish the same thing.  I've been using these things for over 10 years and have yet to replace a battery!  Now that I've said that, one will need replacing...LOL!  Seriously, the Gel Redtop Optima (AGM battery) in Hugo (my '72tii) is the only battery in the car since restoration was completed in 2004, and it's perfectly fine.  My garage isn't heated but it is insulated and rarely gets low enough to be freezing in there.  So, I'm sure that helps with longevity also.

John

The DieHardly in the race car has a tag on it that I put there on 02/02- I let it run down, I run it down, I charge it up, it keeps going.

And when I charge it, I use a Battery Tender Gel charger.

t

I think the OP's issue might be a battery that is starting to age out. New, good ones are pricey but worth  it in the end. When I first read the post I was thinking what is causing the power drain or is the battery weak to the point where it will not hold a good charge. If you drive the car I would recommend having the battery tested as it might be an indicator of the direction that should be taken. I have the Battery Tender for a small versatile maintenance charger but also have a Stanley 15 amp charger that has a float cycle that is the best of both worlds. Got it at Walmart and love it, price, trickle, start car, battery recondition.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-15A-Battery-Charger-with-40A-Engine-Start/38243759

(edited)

OP you mention MegaSquirt. Hows it powered? Is it always on, drawing power from the battery. Do you have a radio, central locking or alarm fitted?

I have no radio or any other powered device on my tii and my clock stopped working years ago. My Odyssey PC680 will hold a charge for 6 months (and maybe longer), without a battery minder and still start the car (using an M30 1.4kw starter) on a -10c morning.  

You need to change battery technology away from a conventional lead acid battery that naturally dissipates charge after a month or so.

Edit: Have you checked you battery voltage at the end of a run. Is it being fully charged. One of the best mods I have made, was fitting and 80amp alternator. The standard 45amper just didnt cut it. Driving home in winter at night, the old, but new, battery never had a full charge and always struggled the next morning.  

Edited by JohnH

Just went through something like this on another vehicle and found that one of my cables was loose. Not saying this is your issue but consider everything and maybe clean the terminals and make sure your ground is good. I think 12.6 volts is what you should see on a fully charged battery. If you are going to test it wait a bit or after you return home turn the car off and either wait a bit to test it or turn your lights on for a few seconds and turn them off and then check you battery. Apparently when a battery is on the charger it will read a bit higher (false). There is a term for it but I can't remember. You can find it if your search the web.

(edited)
Good old VX-6 battery additive

Avoid this stuff.  I used some 40 years ago in a battery when they weren't sealed.  Puked out and I have stained paint underhood in 02.  If the bastard that came up with this stuff was in sight and I had a gun, I would be in jail today.

Edited by jimk