pklym

M42 Shifter linkage measurements

6 posts / 1911 viewsLast Reply

I am wondering if anyone has the measurement (pin to pin) for the shifter linkage necessary for an m42 swap into 2002 (Getrag 240 tranny). I've searched and found some posts on modifying the linkage but most seem to be starting with an e30 linkage, I only have the stock 2002 linkage (and none provide measurements).

Clay's blog lists 12-15mm removed from an e21 linkage, so if anyone happens to know the length of that linkage before hand I could work off that. 

I have a few private messages out to people who may know, but I wanted to start this thread both to see if anyone else knows and so that it can be memorialized for future searchers. 

If no one has the answer we'll figure it out using good old-fashioned mock ups and measuring, but it would be nice to just cut and weld without the extra work.

Thanks,

Peter

I'm going down this path myself.  I believe the article says you shorten an e21 shift platform 12-15 mm.  The other response gives you the length you need for the e30 linkage (thanks by the way).

Bill

The length needed should be the same regardless of the shift linkage you start with, right?

So "center to center" I assume is center of the pins? 8.5 inches? Thanks. 

Didn't see this until now.

Use the shifter link from a `98 328is/M3. p/n is 25111222738.

It fits with no modification. Use the stock E30 "knuckle."

M42ShiftLinkage015.jpg