Sign in to follow this  
Danz3

Strut Tube Color

10 posts / 1024 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

I am renewing the front suspension of my 74 Tii this winter. I currently have older Bilstein HDs and will be keeping them as they seem in good condition. My question is what color was original for the BOGE strut tubes? Mine were black but appeared to have been painted with a spray can as the paint easily was scrapped away to reveal bright yellow. Were the tubes shipped to BMW in yellow and painted prior to assembly or was yellow the correct color as delivered?

Edited by Danz3

Every 02 I've ever seen with their original front struts in place had 'em painted a semi-gloss black.  I've had the front suspension apart on both my '69 and '73, and did some fairly vigorous sanding to remove rust before repainting, and all I found under the black paint was metal--no primer even.  Which probably explains why they rust.  

If yours are yellow underneath either  they're aftermarket, or a PO painted 'em with zinc-chromate primer before applying black paint. Did Bilstein ever make complete struts for 2002s?  If so that may be the source of the yellow paint...look for a Bilstein part number on the tube,

mike

They also came in grey/green on some cars, similar to the air cleaners. My 1970 2800 is like this and Tom R's Tii is also this color. That being said, my 69 and 74 2002s were black.

I was going to say no, no - black, then got your post.  No question it's, doesn't appear to have any gloss to it though.  Primer?  Curious they would use yellow primer then paint black.  I know that on the older Bilstein shocks and strut inserts they used a greenish/gray epoxy primer before painting (yellow or black) and often on the older front inserts they had nothing but that green/gray epoxy color.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

That doesn't look original to me, BUT I'm just basing that on past experience.

Take a look at where the tube transitions to the hub/knuckle/ brake caliper bracket forging-

the factories never masked things, just painted the whole assembly., except for the stub axle.

So the whole shebang should be yellow, if it was done by the OE.

Just a guess,

t

The casting is also yellow up to the base of the axle, no masking of the yellow. I only scraped off the tube paint. My thought is that the original part was replaced at some point and the replacement was yellow for some reason.

I'm no expert but I have never seen any factory yellow strut tubes. Could be someone had them powder coated? Maybe to match the rear yellow bilstein shocks?

The yellow paint looks pretty thin, thin enough to not fill the stamped numbers etc., which powder coating sometimes (depending on the applicator) can do.  Your call on what you want to do with them, I would probably go back to semi-black which is what 99.9% (appear) to be.  If you are going to go yellow, this is the correct Bilstein Yellow.  Years ago when I had my Gr. 2 rear shocks refurbished they sent me a can of it back with my gear (Ellis Paint Co. Industrial Spray Enamel #217 "yellow").  Pictured is one of the inverted rear Bilsteins I have, whatever they used in that primer/paint (green/gray) it is pretty much bulletproof.  That shock had several heavy coats of black paint on it - aircraft stripper took off the black but didn't touch the primer/paint underneath.  Good luck with your project.

post-38814-0-65770300-1452021363_thumb.j

www.alpinabmw2002.com