Sign in to follow this  
hawkgm

Later Differential Cover

4 posts / 881 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Ed,

There has long been a shortage of '02 diff rear covers, particularly the later finned versions. I suppose that for every e21 diff that gets transplanted to an '02, rather than transferring over the old '02 diff's rear cover, the old '02 diff is sold/discarded WITH its original cover. But old '02 open diffs tend to sell from $0 to $100. When I needed a new late-style rear cover for an e21diff -- but wanted to keep my '76's original diff fully intact -- I found a "sitting-in-a-muddy-field" '75 diff for $90 SHIPPED, took the rear cover for my e21 diff, and gave away the "cover-less" diff. I considered $90 for the finned rear cover fair; if I had been able to pick up that '75 diff for $50 -- rather than shipping it -- I would have considered that an absolute steal. Just another way to view the facts!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Thanks Steve for that input.  You are right on...what I've found is that 02 diff covers are expensive while E21 covers are not. Problem is I'm in Hawaii so it's tough finding an 02 open diff.  Shipping a diff here would be out of the question. An open diff cover could be shipped by USPS Flat Rate Box for cheap.  Hoping I'll land on a lucky find...

Will respond separately to shermanmartinez.  Mahalo