• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

123Tune Bluetooth Install and review...WOW!

jrhone

Eric Frenken from Brits and Pieces replied to the blinking Bluetooth light.

--------------

This is what you can try:

- Make sure no Bluetooth devices are searching for the TUNE+ (shut off your Ipad)
- Connect the black wire of the ignition to the red wire. (looks like short circuit, but it is protected)

- Power the ignition (red and black wire together)
- The bluetooth LED will flash for about 10-15 seconds and after this it will give you continued lighting and everything will work again.
- Connect the black wire back as normal.

If your PIN code doesn't work anymore after resetting, please try 1234.

-----------

It worked!!

I now have returned to communications with the distributor and it is beautiful. Works as it should. I am still not 100% certain what caused the malfunction of the radio, but that is an easy reset that should be included in the manual that wasn't, in case it happens again.

'76 Stone Gray 2002

'83 blue R80RT, '83 red R80RT,

'16 Alpine White Xdrive 328d Touring

BMW2002FAQ #502

Looks like he Bluetooth version is only available at this point for Apple products but the usb version is only available for Windows. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

• 1 month later...

Hi all -

i got my bluetooth example installed last week, good to go for a day, then it would not connect / app to device.

so, I tried the red wire / black wire trick mentioned above, and it worked!

I drove for a few days,messed with tuning, etc. - but now it is not connecting again and the wire trick is not working. 

any other tricks up anyone's sleeve?

thanks, jim h.

Edited by designpunk

3 hours ago, designpunk said:

Hi all -

i got my bluetooth example installed last week, good to go for a day, then it would not connect / app to device.

so, I tried the red wire / black wire trick mentioned above, and it worked!

I drove for a few days,messed with tuning, etc. - but now it is not connecting again and the wire trick is not working. 

thanks, jim h.

I too experienced the same exact thing. 

This is what I did.

I turned off my iPhone. I turned off my iPad. 

Went to my car and connected the black coil wire to the red terminal as described above and filled the directions. 

I waited for the solid blue light.

I turned off the ignition.

I then turned both devices back on.

I then turned on the ignition.

I was then able to connect to the iPhone. Worked great.

I then disconnected the IPhone, but left it on.

Next I turned on the IPad and it too connected with no problem.

Since then I have had no issues connecting at will with both devices. 

Maybe be the devices needed to clear the address for the 123, I don't know. But it worked. 

I hope this helps. 

I took the '02 out for a drive this morning in celebration of the cars 40th anniversary of it's build. It has never performed better.

'76 Stone Gray 2002

'83 blue R80RT, '83 red R80RT,

'16 Alpine White Xdrive 328d Touring

BMW2002FAQ #502

Don't ya just love the 123? Yesterday after a 150+ mile run in the car in approaching 100 deg heat, I pulled up to the stop light on the offramp from the freeway as I was almost home. I came to a stop, and was sitting there waiting for the light to turn green...I noticed the engine wasnt making a sound or vibration....maybe my senses were numb from the all day driving, but I had to check the tach to see if the engine was still running! Yep...800 rpm. still running. I swear that never happened with my old pertronix set up!

Edited by arminyack

Ok, the DarrinM1 trick worked......shut the phone down.....did the wire swap.....phone back on and wires back to normal.....it connected!  BUT, it did not connect a short time later. So, I repeated the Darrin method and it connected again.

I'll have to see how it plays out.

I just did 850 miles in the past two days, a lot of backroad twisties, road types, and elevation / temp changes. I could notice quite a bit of difference running the 123.

it was smoother through the revs, and more reactionary. I'm running the "Zinz curve" and it worked pretty well. I need to tweak it a bit. In third gear around the 3500 to 4200 rpm range, it would hold onto the revs too much when letting off of the gas. 

I'll report back.

**update, turned the car on / several times since the latest reconnect, and things look to be in order.

**update 2.0 (6.25.16) - well, after several days of working, it is now back to its old trick of not connecting. I did

the DarrinM1 wire swap method again, and it worked for one round, now not connecting again.

Thanks for the insight, Jim H.

Edited by designpunk

On 6/19/2016 at 6:10 PM, jgerock said:

I recently received the USB dizzy for the 69- waiting for my new laptop to arrive so I can install it.

Yeah, if I bought a smart phone, a lap top and a 123, I could set my timing while I am driving, as well.  But could I also set the dwell?

On 6/19/2016 at 8:18 AM, designpunk said:

$.02 worth of stainless, two springs and a screw and you might be surprised just what you can do.

025.JPG

$.26 -- two set screws in this one.

114.JPG

Cheap fun.

I'm done.

:)

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

3 hours ago, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

But could I also set the dwell

Dwell being coil charge time, why would you want to change it on the fly for any given coil?

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

5 hours ago, jimk said:

Dwell being coil charge time, why would you want to change it on the fly for any given coil?

My question was poorly phrased.

I was saying, with the 123 I could switch curves on the fly.

Separate question, can you set the dwell with the 123?

If the answer is yes, then you could also do it on the fly, not that I can see a reason to do so.

Just wondering, is dwell one of the adjustable features it offers?

Or do you just pick a coil that plays well with the dwell where the 123 is set?

Do they tell you what the dwell is with the 123?

One of the big advantages I see of having adjustable points, which enable setting them with the engine running, is that it becomes an easier adjustment than setting timing.  It is common practice to follow creeping dwell settings (due to wear), by resetting timing (which changed along with the dwell), simply because setting points with the hold down screw is tedious and setting timing is easier.  I have found that maintaining dwell simultaneously maintains timing.

Now I will go back to minding my own business.

Carry on with the celebration :)

Another advantage of the 123 is hotter and more consistent spark. Distributors wear out and become inconsistent. The timing of the 123 is rock steady and consistent. Then it's adjustable timing. Not just setting the timing but the curve from r your particular engine and mods. That's the real advantage. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com