jrhone

123Tune Bluetooth Install and review...WOW!

61 posts / 14088 viewsLast Reply

OK...so I got my grubby little hands on an advance unit of the 123Tune Bluetooth distributor.  I was having various tuning issues on the car.  It stumbled and never ever really ran"GREAT" just ok.  I could tune the stumble out here and it would show up somewhere else.  The specs of my engine are:

2L block with 9.5:1 compression piano top pistons

Fresh top end rebuild with 292 Cam, new valves, valve stems, rockers, etc.

New Weber 38 DGES Carb and matching intake manifold

Ireland Street long tube header

Tii Distributor

Pertronix Ignitor

Pertronix Flamethrower Coil

The car was running great and about 6 months ago it just died.  I have traced that down to a Weber 38 car that was leaking with a sticky float valve.  I replaced the carb and it ran pretty good, just not great.  I replaced plugs, cap, rotor, carb, and coil.  It ran ok...not great.  Fast forward 6 months and the car was still running ok, and it had a stumble when driving it hard at high RPMs.  I tried to tune it BEFORE the 123Tune install but I decided it was time to install it.  

The unit...well its a VERY well made and crafted unit.  Super sturdy and I have no doubt that this will last for YEARS.  

Installation was very straightforward.  I found TDC on the car, yanked the old one.  Dropped in the new distributor and connected 2 wires.  It was pretty easy and I have never pulled or replaced a distributor before.  I tucked all the wires and swapped over the spark plug wires to the new cap and went for the first start....turned the ignition and nothing...just cranked.  Wouldn't fire.  Hmm...so I loosened the distributor and twisted it and it started.  Nice!  Timed it by ear and jumped in and went for a ride.  INSTANT GRIN!

The car idled smoothly and when I stepped on t, I spun the tires and it raced to redline!  Then it started to stumble and in a few blocks it stalled.  Uh oh....popped the hood and realized I didn't snug up the distributor.  A quick twist and it was back to running great.  I then pulled out the iPhone and spend up the 123Tune app....

This is where you can customize the the advance curves, also see all the data of the ignition system.  Vacuum, advance, rpm, speed via GPS, temp and voltage.  

Performance wise the car is really alive!  I step on it, it goes!  No stumbles in the RPM range at all.  The only thing it does is it seems like it hits a rev limiter at 6k RPM.  It may actually be a soft rev limiter which can be adjusted via the advance curves that I have not touched yet.  I also have not pulled out my timing light at all yet, but I will just to dial it all in but my initial thoughts are the thing is AMAZING.  One of the best upgrades I have done to the 02.  Here are some pics of the Distributor, a screenshot of the iPhone app and the install.

post-33536-0-67530200-1451883729_thumb.j

post-33536-0-04251700-1451883732_thumb.j

post-33536-0-67600400-1451883733_thumb.j

post-33536-0-95980100-1451883735_thumb.j

(edited)

Hmm now this sounds interesting. Got to love what new technology is bringing to the older cars.

Edited by 2002newb

What I like is that its a rock solid unit and you don't HAVE to use the bluetooth features.  My unit came with the Tii curves programmed into it and it gives you hotter and more accurate spark and is a performance upgrade to the stock unit.  It also has a vacuum advance and rev limiter as well.  Then if you want to tweak and get tech you can pull out an iPad or iPhone and adjust curves and download them.  All wirelessly.  No wires to connect.  

(edited)

Update...I just went to the garage and with the app looked at the curve settings. The first thing I saw was Max RPM 6000. So yes the reason it screamed to 6k then stumbled was because of the rev limiter. Simple tap and type in the desired max RPM and it's changed. I think it's limited to 8000 RPM max.

Here are a few screenshots of the editing. It's simple yet effective.

post-33536-14518902758945_thumb.jpg

post-33536-14518902889676_thumb.jpg

post-33536-1451890300508_thumb.jpg

Edited by jrhone

First off... this looks pretty flipping sweet.  No wires to connect!  Love it !

I have a question... you say you installed it after getting the engine to TDC.  Then it wouldn't start until you twisted the dizzy a bit, then you timed it by ear.  There is a specific installation instruction for the 123 dizzy where, after stabbing the 123 into the engine at TDC, you power up the unit with the cap off, and twist the unit until a green LED lights up under the rotor.  Then, you lock down the dizzy and use the bluetooth to set the timing (or your laptop on the earlier models)  Now... I've found it more instinctive to use my timing light and dial in some static advance, but it's just another way to skin a cat...

Wait till you use the "RPM Stopwatch" feature... it's like having access to a dyno, and it's free.

I am happy to hear that you like the 123... I've found it to be a very fine piece of hardware.

Ed Z

Glad to hear you have had such a good experience.

I too have just installed one with the usb connector and it really brought my car to life.

My motor is similar to yours but a bit milder  284 cam , shorty header and 32/36 weber

Wait until you play with the curve and make some  stopwatch runs  This will but a bigger smile on you face

Set up the second curve adjusting a little from the first and install the switch on the yellow wire so you can compare curve adjustments

My first curve seems to be the best. Here it is:

RPM Max  6500

500 rpm 0

700 rpm 6

1500 rpm 18

2000 rpm 23

2500 rpm 28

4000 rpm 34

8000 rpm 32

Vacuum

Start Map  1400

0kp  0

29 kp 0

30kp 10

50 kp 10

60kp 2

75 kp 0

100 kp 0

I set the static by ear and a good idle.  turned out to be @ 10 degrees

Noticed that the idle was very sensitive to the static turn on the distributor with this curve

Once the ignition is at its best   and if you get bored, you can have more fun jetting the carburetor 

Weber carburetors  ---   oh that's a whole new subject

The 123 tune really opens the door to tuning any car , particularly a performance motor  Best Smiles Per Hour I've purchased

Keep playing with yours and report back 

Here is the scoop on availability for those interested. There is a limited number in use now, five to be exact. They are still working out any bugs that may appear and hope to make a full release in May 2016.

Boneheaded thing this morning....I got in the car to go to work and the car would fire up and instantly stop.  Then fire up and instantly stop.  It wasn't like it wasn't get fuel or spark its like it was getting cut....Then I remembered that in the app i hit the immobilizer button...Pretty cool to be able to prevent the car from starting via the bluetooth app.  

Boneheaded thing this morning....I got in the car to go to work and the car would fire up and instantly stop.  Then fire up and instantly stop.  It wasn't like it wasn't get fuel or spark its like it was getting cut....Then I remembered that in the app i hit the immobilizer button...Pretty cool to be able to prevent the car from starting via the bluetooth app.  

D'oh - Homer Simpson

Nice feature, an anti-theft control using your phone.

So this a complete newbie question: What's the benefit for a regular Tii engine? All the great reviews have been for carb'd and upgraded engines.

First off... this looks pretty flipping sweet.  No wires to connect!  Love it !

I have a question... you say you installed it after getting the engine to TDC.  Then it wouldn't start until you twisted the dizzy a bit, then you timed it by ear.  There is a specific installation instruction for the 123 dizzy where, after stabbing the 123 into the engine at TDC, you power up the unit with the cap off, and twist the unit until a green LED lights up under the rotor.  Then, you lock down the dizzy and use the bluetooth to set the timing (or your laptop on the earlier models)  Now... I've found it more instinctive to use my timing light and dial in some static advance, but it's just another way to skin a cat...

Wait till you use the "RPM Stopwatch" feature... it's like having access to a dyno, and it's free.

I am happy to hear that you like the 123... I've found it to be a very fine piece of hardware.

Ed Z

By following the instructions from 123 as Ed said, you set engine to TDC, install distributor and turn it until the green light comes on then finish connecting the rest of the wires. That is how the unit now knows where TDC is.  You should already have an advance curve loaded into the unit which will then set the proper advance.

If you add static timing, then the advance numbers loaded into the unit will not be correct. For example, if you added say 8 degrees static and programed in 30 degrees at 3500 rpm, you will really be at 38 degrees.  Adding static advance to a programmable distributor seems counter productive to me.

One way to check if it is positioned properly, put a set point of 25 degrees into your curve. if you are going for a TII curve, put it at 2400 rpm. Non TII at 1400 rpm. Start the engine and look for the timing wheel ball at the given rpm. If you don't see it, turn the distributor until you see it at your given rpm.

So this a complete newbie question: What's the benefit for a regular Tii engine? All the great reviews have been for carb'd and upgraded engines.

Same benefits for a Tii as a carbed engine, well maybe they don't need the vacuum control. Distributors wear, shafts get wobbly and give unreliable timing, especially at higher rpms.