Jump to content
jerry

i bought a rotisserie today, yeah!!!

13 posts / 1436 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

while idly perusing the Tools section of the local Craigslist before turning in for the night, i stumbled upon a recent post listing a car rotisserie for sale.  i have been amassing steel tubing and casters over the years for this purpose; even acquiring an old gear drive hand crank in the process.  the price, at $800 seemed fair, considering this particular one sells for around $2000 new.  the biggest problem was that it was a 2 hour drive each way to retrieve it...

 

that was almost a deal breaker but when i considered that it would likely take me more than 4 hrs to cut, measure and weld a funky make-do contraption, plus purchasing odds n ends; i decided this was worth getting.   it's a beast.  the prior owner bought it from a guy who restored 1950's cars with it so it's very strong and weighs about 800lbs assembled.  i believe it's call a 'bottoms up lift' and is the 3000lb version.

 

anyhow, i will use this to complete the rust repair on my 72tii i was working on a couple years ago and stopped due to other pending projects (like my house).  this will allow me to rework the floorboard welds and actually grind and planish them to make them invisible.  i had been doing all that work on my back, but no more.  doing a search on this site gave me ideas on how to make brackets specific to the 02 to mount one to this rotisserie.   i have three 02's that could use this thing.  hopefully, this spring i can resume work on my 72.

 

i'm getting too old for the up-down body work these cars sometimes need.  now, a 4-post lift would be icing on the cake...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jerry, you dog, I'm jealous!!! I too have been perusing CL periodically looking for a rotisserie for the Alfa. Like you I'm scraping, welding, grinding underneath the car on my back, and it just plain sucks. Hope all's well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jerry, you dog, I'm jealous!!! I too have been perusing CL periodically looking for a rotisserie for the Alfa. Like you I'm scraping, welding, grinding underneath the car on my back, and it just plain sucks. Hope all's well.

tom,  i have a bunch of material set aside for a homemade rotisserie.  if that is of interest to you, you are welcome to have a look and use what you want.  i just couldn't pass up this opportunity, but otherwise, i was nearly there, on my own.  i have large casters, too all picked up free from work.

 

can't wait to see your alfa.  i think my own alfa desires have subsided for now, thankfully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity, is it a two-piece unit that bolts to the front & rear individually or is it one continuous unit/frame? I'm attempting to build one now and my biggest challenge is making it strong/robust enough that it doesn't flex and also making it one-piece as a combo jig/rotisserie so I can measure out the chassis (its been hit previously and doesn't measure up) while at the same time making it open enough that I can properly access the places that need welding/metal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity, is it a two-piece unit that bolts to the front & rear individually or is it one continuous unit/frame? I'm attempting to build one now and my biggest challenge is making it strong/robust enough that it doesn't flex and also making it one-piece as a combo jig/rotisserie so I can measure out the chassis (its been hit previously and doesn't measure up) while at the same time making it open enough that I can properly access the places that need welding/metal. 

what i've noticed from commercial rigs are that the two ends are joined by a central beam that secures the two ends together.  The distance between the endpieces is only limited by the length of the central beam.  on cheaper units the beam is typically smaller gauge steel.  the 02's are not too heavy so i wouldn't sweat the steel thickness too much.

 

as for alignment measurements i don't think you should mix the two uses.  ideally, you should have a stout jig that doesn't flex and is square and flat.  if you are needing such a rig, it might be time to reconsider.  the blue binders provide alignment measurements taken from the frame rail attachment locations to the rear subframe posts and the differential mounting tabs, IIRC.  there are allowable tolerances.  decide where your car is relative to these measurements then decide if a jig is necessary. 

straighten your car out first before using a rotisserie.  weld cross bracing to the car before lifting it, if you are unsure or likely to remove a lot of sheetmetal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I built mine I did 2 tricycle sections, somewhat like 2 overlarge engine stands facing each other, the tied both together with a adjustable center bar. This was strong enough to load the car suspended on the rotisserie onto a flatbed when I moved.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 i will use this to complete the rust repair on my 72tii

 

Just in time for El Nino to bring all that water for you to work outside in.

post-33884-0-95144300-1451964414_thumb.j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thought i'd update this thread.  buying the rotisserie was the easy part.  assembling it without any instructions other than a photo of a similar looking contraption i found on the internet, i thought, would be the most difficult/time-consuming part.  wrong!

 

it took me a better part of a day to sort it all out and roughly assemble it.  that was the easy part.  figuring out how to attach my 02 to it took more thought and effort.  since i have a roundie, the attachment points are limited, and a considerable distance from the rear end.  i chose to mount the rear to the two differential mounting points using a custom-made bar.  i was lucky to have an ample supply of structural tubing at my disposal that i salvaged a couple years ago.  i copied the bolted plate system of the rotisserie to allow for adjustment as necessary.  the front was a little more straightforward with attachment at the front subframe mounting points.

 

my initial plan was to do a quickie suspension rehab in time to take this car to Brisbane next week.  one thing lead to another, and well, here i am. 

 

i think i'm gonna deal with a repaint and bodywork this time around.  i sold my last 02 after doing all the mechanical and rust repairs, but never got around to painting it.  i sold it for what i think was a VERY favorable price to the buyer for the amount of work and condition it was in.  the 2nd owner after me totaled it within 6 months of ownership.  bummer.  the guy was a Bling mechanic only, sticking shiny bits on it primarily before totalling it.  i don't want that to happen to this car.  this is a sister car to one i restored about 10 years ago and learned a lot on that effort.  the owner of that car took it to the next level and still has it as far as i know down in L.A.  so, my motivation was to USE this rotisserie and to do that, i figured i'd start with a relatively straight car. 

 

i present to the 02FAQ, 2575914 as it appears today.  i think i'll start another blog as i did for its sister 2576240, 10 years ago (i was one of the first project blogs when that section was added to the FAQ).DSCN9987.JPGDSCN9984.JPGDSCN9985.JPGDSCN9986.JPG

DSCN9987.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jerry,

 

I still have the car I bought from you. I am hoping to have it at Brisbane. It will all depend on my work travel schedule. Good luck on this one, I am sure it will be beautiful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GoFaSSter said:

Jerry,

 

I still have the car I bought from you. I am hoping to have it at Brisbane. It will all depend on my work travel schedule. Good luck on this one, I am sure it will be beautiful!

oh yes, i didn't mean to forget you.  i was tired typing and just cut it short.  you too have taken that car to the next level and returned it to its former glory.  fjord looks so much better on the squaretails.   i hated having to sell that car, particularly but i've got to whittle down my dead 02's and i'm so loathe to cut them up.  finding caretakers like you is what makes it palatable.  having a 40 year old survivor totaled within 6 months of ownership is a real disappointment.

 

i hope to see you this saturday.  i'll be 02-less again.  SIGH...  i'll be bringing my boxer Otto, though.  he's better looking than i am too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
On May 1, 2016 at 8:35 PM, jerry said:

thought i'd update this thread.  buying the rotisserie was the easy part.  assembling it without any instructions other than a photo of a similar looking contraption i found on the internet, i thought, would be the most difficult/time-consuming part.  wrong!

 

it took me a better part of a day to sort it all out and roughly assemble it.  that was the easy part.  figuring out how to attach my 02 to it took more thought and effort.  since i have a roundie, the attachment points are limited, and a considerable distance from the rear end.  i chose to mount the rear to the two differential mounting points using a custom-made bar.  i was lucky to have an ample supply of structural tubing at my disposal that i salvaged a couple years ago.  i copied the bolted plate system of the rotisserie to allow for adjustment as necessary.  the front was a little more straightforward with attachment at the front subframe mounting points.

 

my initial plan was to do a quickie suspension rehab in time to take this car to Brisbane next week.  one thing lead to another, and well, here i am. 

 

i think i'm gonna deal with a repaint and bodywork this time around.  i sold my last 02 after doing all the mechanical and rust repairs, but never got around to painting it.  i sold it for what i think was a VERY favorable price to the buyer for the amount of work and condition it was in.  the 2nd owner after me totaled it within 6 months of ownership.  bummer.  the guy was a Bling mechanic only, sticking shiny bits on it primarily before totalling it.  i don't want that to happen to this car.  this is a sister car to one i restored about 10 years ago and learned a lot on that effort.  the owner of that car took it to the next level and still has it as far as i know down in L.A.  so, my motivation was to USE this rotisserie and to do that, i figured i'd start with a relatively straight car. 

 

i present to the 02FAQ, 2575914 as it appears today.  i think i'll start another blog as i did for its sister 2576240, 10 years ago (i was one of the first project blogs when that section was added to the FAQ).DSCN9987.JPGDSCN9984.JPGDSCN9985.JPGDSCN9986.JPG

DSCN9987.JPG

 

Thanks for the "bling mechanic" comment, Ol Jerry! Since that car was totaled I swapped everything and I mean everything salvageable from it to another car. I kind of take offense to your snide remark. You said yourself "the car was mechanically sound when you sold it. you make it sound like I put a gt grant steering wheel and spinner hub caps on it and then said fuck it and intentionally drove it into a wall... 

 

The 71' helped this 69' that had been sitting for 20+ years live again. With every end there is a new beginning, Jerry. Such is life. I'm sorry I crashed the 71'. On disassembly I could see how much work you put into it. I can promise you though that, that car meant more to me than you and that having my first accident ever in that car really bummed me the fuck out... 

 

 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Coastalcrush408

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Coastalcrush408 said:

 

Thanks for the "bling mechanic" comment, Ol Jerry! Since that car was totaled I swapped everything and I mean everything salvageable from it to another car. I kind of take offense to your snide remark. You said yourself "the car was mechanically sound when you sold it. you make it sound like I put a gt grant steering wheel and spinner hub caps on it and then said fuck it and intentionally drove it into a wall... 

 

The 71' helped this 69' that had been sitting for 20+ years live again. With every end there is a new beginning, Jerry. Such is life. I'm sorry I crashed the 71'. On disassembly I could see how much work you put into it. I can promise you though that, that car meant more to me than you and that having my first accident ever in that car really bummed me the fuck out... 

 

 

 

Max, i am sorry that i referred to you as a Bling mechanic.  i am guilty of pressing the 'submit' button without considering my words.  i did not intend to infer anything about your crash.  in fact, my disappointment is not with your care and feeding of this car.  you got this car from the guy i sold it to.  THAT person was all excited about getting it and talked about how he was gonna have it painted and show it off at the Brisbane show the following year.  i even gave him the paint to finish it.  when i saw it last year at Brisbane i was disappointed to see absolutely nothing other than the add-ons i referred to installed, and the trunklid stripped of paint and left to rust.  other than that, it was exactly as i left it.  so much for all the talk of 'fixing it all up and keeping it'.  i did not know that it had already changed hands at that point.

sorry for the slight.  let's move on.  when a car is sold, it is no longer my concern what happens to it.   i get that.  sometimes the unthinking side overtakes the rational and i'm guilty of being fallible. 

 

btw, your replacement car looks great. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.