• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Cabrio From 02/02/02 Event in Spartanburg, SC

tomscat1

Mystery Voll Cabrio at Famous 02/02/02 Event!    Who can identify this cabrio?  It does not appear to be a Baur.

I spotted this in one of my friend Harry Bonkosky's  photo albums, which I believe are pics from the famous 02/02/02  gathering at BMW's Spartanburg headquarters.

Any clues, pics or reminisces would be helpful.
11.jpg
This was the event:

Any idea where it is now?  

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

Tom

We actually caravaned down from NC to Spartanburg with him.  We joined the caravan that was coming down from the NE so some of the folks that were in it may have more detail

Had a Massachusetts license plate on it    I recall  him be a nice fellow but cannot remember his name.   He certainly had a ball is what I remembered    Was the first convertible I had ever seen :)    

post-32240-0-95607300-1451863426_thumb.j

post-32240-0-26043800-1451863640_thumb.j

post-32240-0-25461500-1451863653_thumb.j

Those mirrors make my pants tight. Love em! Real Sebring vintage touring car style! Probably about $300 each, too!

Then again, I'm a bit biased. I couldn't find those, so I opted for real Talbots….which cost me about a week's salary. 

post-34474-0-98050400-1451866689_thumb.j

Edited by wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Wow, Mike!  Thanks to you we now have more info, a pic of the driver, a pic of his plate, and we know that it is a 2002!  "That is Gold, Jerry, Gold! "  (to quote Seinfeld!)

Great stuff, thank you!  We are making progress!  

Tom

Tom

We actually caravaned down from NC to Spartanburg with him.  We joined the caravan that was coming down from the NE so some of the folks that were in it may have more detail

Had a Massachusetts license plate on it    I recall  him be a nice fellow but cannot remember his name.   He certainly had a ball is what I remembered    Was the first convertible I had ever seen :)    

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

Just to torment you some more Tom, this is a picture from 02 Fest East at Lime Rock CT that I took at that event.  

In the nearest row, third car from left is Chris' white Baur.   Three cars to the right of his is this mysterious Sienna Braun convertible.     :)

And there is another Baur in the photo too!   Can you spot it???   Way up in the right hand side is a golf Baur next to my Fjord 02.    It use to belong to Curtis but he no longer owns it.   :)

Willie Wylie may have a registration list from that event and that may have some owner information for you   :)

post-32240-0-22881200-1451873602_thumb.j

post-32240-0-66388100-1451873627_thumb.j

Those "hokey"mirrors appear to be period Correct made in Germany Talbot 333s. These are approaching unobtainium costs now, I saw some on German eBay recently for $900. Like Paul, I prefer the chromed models. I always appreciate accessories that are correct for the time period. But then again I must admit I have a weakness for breast shaped mirrors, and other rounded symmetrical biomorphic shapes,  I've told my therapist about it, and he says it is because I was breast-fed.

Cheers, Peter

post-39399-0-92933800-1451875034_thumb.j

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Oh, man!  Just when I am trying to wind down and go to bed... THIS happens!  :)

What year was this pic taken?  

I do know Willy Wiley, our new Chapter president!  And I love Lime Rock, right here in CT!  Wow.  Great find, Mike!

I assume "Chris" with the white Baur Cabrio Targa is Chris I., from Philly, whose Cabrio Targa was hit in a drive-by a couple of years ago while parked on a Philly street.  :(

And there is our Mystery cabrio in the middle of the field, confirming again that is probably Northeast-based! 

I do not know the Golf Targa at all!  A NEW FIND!  Lordy!  A NEW quest unfolds!  

How am I supposed to get to sleep tonight???  ;)  

Thank you, Mike!   ;)cm6qtw.jpg

Just to torment you some more Tom, this is a picture from 02 Fest East at Lime Rock CT that I took at that event.  

In the nearest row, third car from left is Chris' white Baur.   Three cars to the right of his is this mysterious Sienna Braun convertible.     :)

And there is another Baur in the photo too!   Can you spot it???   Way up in the right hand side is a golf Baur next to my Fjord 02.    It use to belong to Curtis but he no longer owns it.   :)

Willie Wylie may have a registration list from that event and that may have some owner information for you   :)

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

Those mirrors make my pants tight. Love em! Real Sebring vintage touring car style! Probably about $300 each, too!

Then again, I'm a bit biased. I couldn't find those, so I opted for real Talbots….which cost me about a week's salary. 

At least you didnt go for the stylish chromy wheel arches, so theres still hope for you!!! Happy New Year.

02tii 2751928 (2582)

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is that a "real" Bauer cabrio, or is it one of those Dutch conversions from a coupe?  The vent windows look a little large to be a cabrio, and appear to open.  And the windshield rake seems to be the same as a coupe.  

Bauer cabrios have noticeably smaller, non-opening vent windows and the windshield has more of a rake to it.  But it's kinda hard to tell from the posted pictures.  

I've not seen that car at any Vintage event in NC, or at Mid-America...has it been spotted at Saratoga?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is that a "real" Bauer cabrio, or is it one of those Dutch conversions from a coupe?  The vent windows look a little large to be a cabrio, and appear to open.  And the windshield rake seems to be the same as a coupe.  

Bauer cabrios have noticeably smaller, non-opening vent windows and the windshield has more of a rake to it.  But it's kinda hard to tell from the posted pictures.  

I've not seen that car at any Vintage event in NC, or at Mid-America...has it been spotted at Saratoga?

mike

I agree with you, Mike.  It is hard to tell from the original pics, but the close-up that Mike P. posted seems to confirm my suspicions.  I originally assumed that it was a Baur, but the more I looked at it.... that front windshield rake didn't appear quite right, especially at the point where the vent window should meet it.  It appears to have been cut off there.  Most of the non-Baur, aftermarket conversions have a slight curve ---the original coupe roofline---at that point. The Baur vent window (fixed, as you noted) is smaller and forms a sharper triangle.  I am hoping someone will dig up an interior pic of this car that will show either the presence or absence of turning knobs for the vents:  the knobs will be absent on the Baurs, and present on the aftermarket coupe conversions.  

bmw-1602-cabriolet-01.jpg

We now believe that the owner in the pic was from the Boston MA area, and may have sold it shortly after the event.  Several of our friends remember the car at that event---and others---, and even chatted with him.  But that was a long (13 years) time ago.  We have no idea where it went after that.  But, because it is a cabrio and it has those unusual hood mirrors, there is a fair likelihood that --- if it is still out there--- someone is going to spot it!  We are putting the word out to all our 'Baurspotters' out there to stay alert!   ;)  And any help, pics, ideas, wild speculations, etc. are most welcome and appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

I have not seen it at the Vintage at Saratoga the past 3 or 4 years that I have attended.  

Edited by tomscat1

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

Those "hokey"mirrors appear to be period Correct made in Germany Talbot 333s.
They ruin the nice lines of the car.  Picture the car without them, nice.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Mike/Tom

It is not a chop top   That is a fixed vent window and there is no pivot   And the aluminum trim behind the vent glass looks like those on a real convertible     I do remember it being a real one    Obviously has had new nose put on it and I don't think they ever painted them Sienna Braun but may be mistaken about that   :)

Below is a picture of Rob's Dutch chop top

And next to that is a Dutch friend's real 1600 cab       

post-32240-0-32070700-1451928801_thumb.j

post-32240-0-53277300-1451929098_thumb.j

Mike/Tom

It is not a chop top   That is a fixed vent window and there is no pivot   And the aluminum trim behind the vent glass looks like those on a real convertible     I do remember it being a real one    Obviously has had new nose put on it and I don't think they ever painted them Sienna Braun but may be mistaken about that   :)

Below is a picture of Rob's Dutch chop top

And next to that is a Dutch friend's real 1600 cab       

Here is the Baurspotting post that I should have dug out in the first place.  Lots of good pics of exactly what we are talking about.

Like this one:

no%2Bvent%2Bwindow%2Bknob%2Band%2Bno%2Bt

Lots more cabrio pics here:

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2015/05/which-is-which-lumma-vs-baur-cabrio.html

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs