2fysh

Sorry, we couldn't find that!

19 posts / 1037 viewsLast Reply

Is there some place that all this info is hiding.  I spend hours on this site searching, researching, etc in order to not ask questions that have been asked before (some people seem to take the asking questions personal).

I USE THE SEARCH FEATURE!!  I have even read the thread on how to search-multiple times.

So please, please, please someone tell me why almost every time i hit a link i get........

Sorry, we couldn't find that!

Thanks, 

Jason 

If you go to the Google home page and type the same search term in with- site:BMW2002FAQ.com in front, what do you get? Try it again without the site search. What then?

Perhaps you are being too specific (but incorrect) for example searching for a Solex PHA carburetor with quotes?

If you are using Google for search at the top of the page (now helpfully default!) I can't see how you can go wrong

There does seem to be something wacko with the search on this forum. I know that we have had this discussion before, and some have said that its because some of us use AddBlockPlus and Ghostery, but I dont think that is the complete answer.

The funny thing is, if you open another browser tab and key "site:www.bmw2002faq.com sorry we couldnt find that" and use google to search you find lots of hits. The bit in bold tells google to search a site and the bit that is underscored is the search argument.

post-35003-0-77082600-1451813118_thumb.j

2fysh - This question of the 'search' function has been asked a hundred times.  Please use the 'search' function before posting ! :D

since steve changed the default search to google i don't think it's necessary to use "site:BMW2002FAQ.com"

Maybe I should have been more specific.  I think in my state of frustration what I meant was:

If I'm reading a thread AFTER searching, I click on a link that is included in a thread.  Probably 97.825%, i get the Sorry, we couldn't find that.  

I still get that quite a bit if just searching.  Now that Google is the default, I find that I get Sorry,.... less now.

Sorry for the confusion.  Maybe someone can enlighten me as to were all these links go.

Thanks,

Jason

Those links were there before we changed to the new format. They simply do not exist in the specified link anymore. It can be frustrating.

Those links were there before we changed to the new format. They simply do not exist in the specified link anymore. It can be frustrating.

Yes, it is not a search problem. The links to threads in the old format are not valid in new system. Although it is not new anymore....

The Google search function in the forum has always worked great, whether it was default or not.

There is no need to go out to a Google page and use that "site:" thing.

There is no need to go out to a Google page and use that "site:" thing.

Yes there is for those of us who cant use the internal google search.

The very fact that I can search the site using the external google search tells me that there is something amiss with the internal search.

I dont have any problems using the google internal search on other forums. Just saying.

Its moot anyway, because the OP mislead us in his first post.

Yes there is for those of us who cant use the internal google search.

The very fact that I can search the site using the external google search tells me that there is something amiss with the internal search.

I dont have any problems using the google internal search on other forums. Just saying.

Its moot anyway, because the OP mislead us in his first post.

I still have trouble with the search function (post 7).  So let's just say partially moot.

If you are really after data that was lost during the format change, you have a chance of finding it on the internet wayback machine.

Cheers,

If you are really after data that was lost during the format change, you have a chance of finding it on the internet wayback machine.

Cheers,

I've never gotten a page that is no longer there from a search on the FAQ from the wayback machine, I think the URL format changed. If you have any specific tips, let us know.

I've never gotten a page that is no longer there from a search on the FAQ from the wayback machine, I think the URL format changed. If you have any specific tips, let us know.

You may have some luck if you start there on the page with the link to the "sorry we couldn't find that" page. Or not :)

Cheers,

Cheers,

I underscore and bracket fluxcapacitor in my searches.

post-33884-0-36259800-1451866715_thumb.j