Parksis_52

Horn help for E21 steering wheel upgrade.

6 posts / 1845 viewsLast Reply

I bought a '69 02 a few years ago and have sorted out most of the major operating issues it had when I first bought it. While the car is parked for the cold Canadian winter, I have decided to plug away and clean up some of the more minor irritants I noted while driving it last summer. I was able to find a used 320i 3 spoke sport steering wheel online locally, and recently began removal of the old steering wheel, and install of the upgrade. Before starting I printed off the general install article from Bay area 02 and found it mostly helpful. I've run into a road block however, because the previous owner didn't have a horn attached to whatever generic steering wheel he had installed. The horn consisted of 2 loose wires attached to a button you'd depress with your thumb to activate if needed. The button was/is dangling just below the steering column. Where I run into the issue is I don't have the contact pin that would have been found originally on the 02. I do though have the brass ring that was just left neglected on the column by the last owner. What I'm wondering is, would it be easier to pick up another contact pin, or grab a horn contact adaptor like the one discussed in other postings? I guess it depends on how the horn is wired currently, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had some suggestions before I dig too deep. Thanks in advance... 

(edited)

Simple, use a horn contact pin from BMW (I used one for a 320i, part 32.33.1.109.750).  I made a bushing to mount the pin into the wheel.  Google 320i horn contact pin and read all about it.

post-36158-0-54405600-1451826001_thumb.j

Edited by nbcbird

(edited)

I just bent a piece of brass shim stock and tucked it under the ring on the wheel.

Then made a little plastic spacer/washer to put under the existing screw, to hold it in place.

Quick and dirty, but it works.

105_zpsgooxad8q.jpg

103_zpsmboqftzm.jpg

EDIT:  A friend just discreetly sent me a message saying that the sport wheel is different, in that it does not have screws on the back.  That screw may be overkill, in that there is quite a bit of 'grip' when the tab is tucked under the brass ring.  Especially if it is slid in close to where the ring is secured to the wheel.

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

The previous owner of my 75 did it pretty wrong. He cut into the steering column and made the horn contact button fit by bolting it straight to the column. It contacted the ring on the wheel.

(edited)

Thanks very much for the feedback. I had a look and attached some photos to document how the 4 spoke and 3 spoke steering wheels are different. I'm still trying to make sense of where plungers, rings and wires attach properly...

post-46225-0-10189000-1452106298_thumb.j

post-46225-0-17402700-1452106313_thumb.j

Edited by Parksis_52

You need to partially assemble the steering column trim so it looks like the top photo in mintgrun's post. The pin in the steering wheel contacts the brass ring around the column housing.  There is a connection from the horn button to the contact pin in the steering wheel hub.