bimmercraze

No start confusion

14 posts / 783 viewsLast Reply

Hi, I'm having a serious no start problem. The car will crank over and catch on a power stoke every now and then. The car ran Thursday then Friday night it wouldn't run at all. I've check fuel in the carb and cleaned it out with carb cleaner, I've check the coil and plug wires and there's spark going to the plugs, I've changed fuel filter and tried starting fluid to get it to get it started and it didn't work. Any ideas? I'm seriously confused

The top nut that holds the points in? If so that's tightened down. I'm thinking something might have sent it out of timing though. Maybe some one messed with the dizzy in the night

The top nut that holds the points in? If so that's tightened down. I'm thinking something might have sent it out of timing though. Maybe some one messed with the dizzy in the night

Sorry, I was thinking of the clamp that holds the distributor in place, which you would loosen to set timing.

But yeah, sounds like timing is off if you have fuel and spark.

(edited)

I'm going to autozone tomorrow to check the timing... Should I go off of the fly wheel or pully? Also it's a points system

Edited by Tkirkwood

(edited)

you should try adjusting the point. my car had trouble starting and ran like absolutely crap-ola and once i adjusted the point. voila 

Edited by p1k

(edited)

The flywheel is most accurate but to get it running, use whichever is more visible. I've always used the pulley because I was never able to find the timing marks on the flywheel.

Do you have a feeler gauge set? As suggested above, you might as well check your point gap. You can get close with a feeler gauge but you'll want a dwell meter to really dial it in. See if you can rent a dwell meter when you go to Autozone tomorrow. Some timing lights have one built in but not sure what they offer.

Good luck!

Edited by bento

Yes I have a pretty good feeler gauge. I've been able to find the time mark on my fly wheel. What are the specs for timing and point gap?

Point gap is .016...from your description it sounds like the point gap has closed up--it does this gradually, but eventually reaches a point where the car just quits running/won't start.  I'd also check the inside of the distributor cap for moisture or an oily film; either can cause misfiring or actually ground the spark.  

Dwell is 59-65 degrees; timing is at least somewhat dependent on which year car you have, whether it's a carbureted or tii engine, and whether you have a vacuum advance distributor or centrifugal only.  You'll need to supply the above information.  

You say the car ran two days ago, so unless you find a loose distributor and/or loose points, it's unlikely that the timing has magically moved from correct to no-start, so I'd look for a part failure before I'd look for the timing to be that far off that it suddenly won't start...

cheers

mike

What spark plugs? Run coppers.

I think you may have flooded it.

Good luck,

The car is a 75. I believe it has the car has a vacuum advanced dizzy. I haven't been able to find any broken parts in the engine bay I've been scouring over it for the past two days but I'll keep my eyes out. I'm not entirely sure what plugs are in there, I haven't touched them since I bought the car about 2 years ago