1Eighteen

New bolts kit

4 posts / 613 viewsLast Reply

Happy New year and Happy 02'ing in 2016.

I decided to treat the 02 to a belated Xmas pressie, in the shape of a rear axle rebuild.

I stripped it a while ago and of course took loads of photos - not !!  :oops:

Anyway, I'm a bit unsure of a few of the bolts from the W&N kit.  Most of them I'm fine with and are pretty obvious, but I could do with a bit of help from someone who has used the kit.

In the pic below:

Not sure what the bolts labelled (1) are for ?  Are these for the diff (short nose)?

Same with (2).  Not sure about these at all ?  Also, the large thick washers, where do these go ?

post-46789-0-18069900-1451732727_thumb.j

OK.  I have sussed it now.  My 'new' diff still had the bolts attached so I realised my mistake.

Looking forward to building it now.  Still need to source new springs (undecided on which) and I need to sort the driveshafts for the LSD.

Will be nice to take a short break from welding and sorting out the bodywork. :) And see some nice shiny items coming together. 

post-46789-0-07812500-1451748031_thumb.j

If you're building your car primarily for the street but want better-than-stock handling...I'm very happy with H&R Sport springs and Bilstein HD shocks, paired with 22/19mm sway bars front and rear, with urethane bushings on the sway bars only. Those springs lower the car a little over an inch, and the combination makes for flatter cornering but won't jar your fillings out on rough roads.

Nice "exploded diagram" picture, BTW

mike

Thanks Mike.   I did toy with the idea of the poly sway bar bushes, but went with stock in the end.  I might invest in the poly subframe mount inserts.  It's a simple job to swap the sway bar bushes later, if I want, I guess.

I do like H&R stuff.  I've had them before on my Golf and the ride was great.  I was going to try and find some Eibach springs, since they always have good reviews. 

I have new Koni shocks all round rather than the Billies though.