Doug Riparetti

20-Gallon Fuel Cell Conversion-

40 posts / 3979 viewsLast Reply

The 1-inch thick foam "pad" on the bottom of the cell isn't going to do much of anything, other than deteriorate and clog the fuel system. A good option to reduce the sloshing is to fill the tank with pvc wiffle golf balls. Racers do this all the time, and the PVC is gasoline resistant. The fuel level sender would need some thought, but this is better than a clogged fuel system.

You can get gray marine vinyl from JoAnn fabric to make trunk boards. I made a set after tracing someone else's boards on paper to make a template. I think it's about $20 per yard, I don't remember exactly. It's good stuff and pretty thick.

post-41156-0-79278100-1452574624_thumb.j

post-41156-0-14031600-1452574626_thumb.j

(edited)

I actually went there today and got the same color that you have. I got a 54" x 54" piece, it was just enough

I found a paint color at Home Depot, satin "Heirloom White", it matched pretty close

Edited by Doug Riparetti

It's probably my lack of understanding. I thought the difference between a fuel cell and a fuel tank was that the cell was full of foam to stop the fuel from surging around the tank. 1" at the bottom does seem pointless.

(edited)

Not all fuel cell run foam. When I ran my "Supermodified" (on alcohol) , I had a 30 gallon fuel cell, I never ran foam. I raced circle track for over 21-years, I never ran foam in my cells, an I ran several different classes during that time.

post-46166-0-78364200-1452652917_thumb.p

Edited by Doug Riparetti

(edited)

I agree with you, Doug. I don't see a need for foam, especially in a street car application running relatively small tanks. That's why I took mine out rather than risk mucking up the fuel system.

Edited by Beemeup

(edited)

cheap foam degrades.  good foam is impervious to gasoline.

foam is not just to keep fuel from moving around.  having cell full of foam decreases the void that fills with volatile air/fuel vapor.  it is a safety feature.

a cell full of good foam is a huge upgrade to a 2002 whose stock tank is in a very dangerous place.  a cell with just fuel in it is just a bigger stock gas tank.  if that is all you are looking for...goal achieved!

Edited by mlytle