• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POLL: mileage to a tank of gas?!?

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

'76 depth gas tank (as the gas tanks were different sizes). What else plays a role that I'm forgetting? My foot is heavy, but that's not what I'm forgetting.

-El

Guest Anonymous

on a stock but tired engine. My '69--equally tired--with original one bbl Solex is within 1-2 mpg or so...slightly better around town, same on highway. Best mileage: 33 on the 69 when it was new.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

...on an early '71, single-barrel Solex, 4-speed, 130k miles on an unopened stock engine. I get 28-29+ mpg running an indicated 70 mph, down to 24 mpg running 80+ mph -- but I've discovered while trying to follow my wife on a trip that my speedometer reads about 5-6 percent high, so "80" is really about 75, and "70" is 66-67. And since my odometer is thus about 5-6 percent off as well, my mileage isn't that good; more like 23 city, 25 highway. So about 250 miles before I fill up, if I run down to "R."

-Dave

Colorado '71

'87 Volvo 740t, 27 mpg highway on its coming-home trip -- with 40k more miles, 800+ more pounds and 62 percent more horsepower than the '02. EFI is incredible!

Guest Anonymous

I've got a fairly heavy foot. I probably could squeeze out another 10-20 miles, but 200 miles in-town is as far down on the gas gauge as I'll trust. On extended highway trips, I'll see about 250 on a tank.

Tim

'76 2002

'03 Golf, 400+ mile range

Guest Anonymous

...when we took both cars to Pennsylvania over Thanksgiving. That's how I got the six percent off figure, which also worked for the speedo error. Something just seems to be calibrated wrong. Not a big deal, but good to know.

-Dave

Guest Anonymous

check revs per mile on the tires you're running (on Tire Rack site) vs revs/mile for 165/80x13s and figure the percentage...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I know this because last Saturday I just coasted into the gas station on empty. 246.4 miles. My gauge was pegged full (grounding issue). '74 tii stock.

Guest Anonymous

A theoretical 165/80R13 tire is 23.39 inches in diameter, or 862.3 revs per mile. The Sumitomo 185/65R14 HTR-200s I have on the car are 23.3 inches in diameter according to Tire Rack's web site -- 865.6 revs per mile. The difference is only 0.4 percent, not the 6 percent I'm seeing.

Even a theoretical 185/65R14, at 859.4 revs per mile, would be off by only 0.7 percent. I recall also doing the calculations per the specs for Michelin 165R13 XAS tires listed on Coker Tire's web site, and the difference was even less (since 165R13 is about a 78 aspect ratio).

And the speedometer reads almost the same now as it did with 185/70R13s. My speedo's just off.

-Dave