joshinthebox

Help! Engine screams and shuts off!

5 posts / 582 viewsLast Reply

Hey fellow 2002ers!

I've been driving my 74 2002 for months without a problem. On cold start ups I usually aid the engine by holding the gas down about 20% and then keep it at 2000rpm until engine is warm enough to idle easy on its own.

This morning I attempted the same, however after the engine turned on after a minute the engine squealed and shut off. It seems its not a slipping belt, and has gotta be internal. Oil level is fine however the oil light has always been on until the engine warms up a little.

The engine will restart and run above 2200 rpm however any lower I get the squeak and violent shut off.

I've tried research but have come up with nothing so far.

Thanks for any and all help.

Total shot in the dark.... Pull of your distributor cap and  inspect inside.  My car had a similar issue once, felt like the fuel filter plugged, not enough fuel kinda thing. long story short, the contact on the distributor rotor had mostly come off. It did very bad things to the contacts on the cap .  But... still she ran (no idea how), barely... plus its an easy check.

Total shot in the dark.... Pull of your distributor cap and  inspect inside.  My car had a similar issue once, felt like the fuel filter plugged, not enough fuel kinda thing. long story short, the contact on the distributor rotor had mostly come off. It did very bad things to the contacts on the cap .  But... still she ran (no idea how), barely... plus its an easy check.

I'll definetely check that soon here. Thinking it may be a crank or cam bearing however.

A bad bearing will shut the motor down just once. I'd go back to the fan belt. How old is it? It can be tight, but if glazed, will slip. Check pulleys for glazing. Try sanding the belt and pulleys. Does the alternator spin freely? I can't immediately think of why a slipping belt would cause the engine to stop suddenly (unless an old battery was really low after starting). So after it stops, see if it has enough juice to start again. If not, battery may be putting too high load on the alternator which causes belt to slip.