Sign in to follow this  
mlytle

snow mobiles anyone?

13 posts / 662 viewsLast Reply

I am a sucker for anything with an engine that goes fast......

spent a few days in the Cascade mountains of WA state this week freezing (20's), burning up gas, and moving snow.  yee ha!

20151227_140620.jpg

20151229_124231.jpg

20151229_150317.jpg

20151229_150321.jpg

no go pro evidence...but 100hp in a 500lb machine makes getting air on a bump fairly easy....

Edited by mlytle

Change to, "using the logging roads in a national park that are specifically groomed for use by snowmobiles in the winter and open to plated power vehicles operated by licensed drivers the rest of the year. "

Change to, "using the logging roads in a national park that are specifically groomed for use by snowmobiles in the winter and open to plated power vehicles operated by licensed drivers the rest of the year. "

Is that in lieu of your original post, in which you indicated you terrorized a national forest?

Fast and loud is great on a track.  Logging roads and groomed sled trails on public land are the equivalent of public roads, not a closed track.  Racing, speeding, jumping, etc. should be limited to a closed track, agreed? Some operators are touring, some going from A to B.  Sleds (and other plated power vehicles) should be welcome on public lands, and in my opinion operated as if they are using public streets.  Which they are.  Why should the rules of the road change just because the pavement ends? 

(edited)

LOL!  thanks for the unnecessary lecture.  nothing in my post indicated any racing, speeding, going fast or being loud.  (but imho, all the snowmobiles I saw needed way quieter mufflers)

If it makes you feel better, I had not used a snowmobile before, 20mph felt damn fast, i had a local guide, and those other operators you are concerned about were going by me.

don't get me started on the operators I saw out in the woods pounding beers..

and the speedo's on the silly snowmobiles were ridiculous..the two we had read to 160 and 200mph....

Edited by mlytle

I did a little background investigation and a Freedom of Information Records Release Request reveals recently released BLM trail camera footage of an off-course incident Marshall had... :)

post-42878-0-01670900-1452176076_thumb.j

I think we can all be thankful Marshall didn't pull a Micheal Schumacher (Happy Birthday Stig!!)

Keep the rubber side down and y'all have a great day,

Ed Z