arminyack

VDO Dual oil pressure sender....WTF is going on here?

9 posts / 1142 viewsLast Reply

So I did some searching of the forums when it came time to look into installing a VDO pressure gauge. I came up with using a VDO dual post sender (ref thread http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/80023-oil-pressure-sender-will-it-fit/)

M12 x 1.5mm threads. So I ordered it...and when it came time to install is, I pulled out the original sender and much to my chagrin, the threads are M12 x 1.00 (1.25??). @#$%^!! Did BMW change this from earlier cars to later or something? It seems my only recourse at the moment is to pull off the flange, and install a M12 x 1.50 insert. Is this just how its done?

Edited by arminyack

The early distributor housing is tapped m10x1.0 the later housings are tapped m12x1.5 for the oil pressure sender. The m10x1.00 VDO dual signal sender seems common, there is an adapter sold by bav auto to mount the m10x1.00 sender to a housing tapped for m12x1.5. But you are the other way around. You can use a later housing

Edited by dar_on_

Don't know if this helps, but here's how my VDO oil pressure dual-sender and adapter fits (orig 76 block).

Tom

post-33306-0-07918900-1451524509_thumb.j

You could probably do yourself a favour and remotely mount the sensor on the bulkhead. Use a flexible adaptor line. The buzzy nature of the M10 means that any heavy sensors tend to vibrate to oblivion, especially when they are mounted using fixed adaptors. 

IIRC, I bought an adapter a couple of years after buying my 2002 and installed additional gauges.  I went with a mechanical (i.e., not electrical) solution and used what was then called a Smiths TP-5 adapter, which was essentially a Tee fitting.

Regards, Maurice.

I want to install the factory sender and also a temp and press oil sender (both 1/8-27 NPT).... I would like something similar to the adapter PARKERPERFORMANCE used to have, any comments?

aaaaa.jpg