JackH

1972 BMW "M2" Valuation Question

38 posts / 4128 viewsLast Reply

Hi,

After 12 years of ownership, I am thinking it is time to let somebody else enjoy "Izzy" my '72 M2.  The condition of this car is pretty decent but it is not a show car.  The interior is darn near perfect with recovered Recaro seats and relatively new carpet kit but does have a minor crack on the dash that has been filled and not all that noticeable - but it is there.  Unfortunately, I'm away from my office for a few weeks and don't have a photo of that at the moment.  The exterior is pretty decent from 5' away.  There is no rust with the exception of one minor dime size area.  Everything works but the S14 motor does need a new timing belt. 

My question is this.  I have a few people interested in buying the car but of course, the question is what it is worth.  There are so few of these out there, there isn't a clear market value that I can see.  I know I saw a few sell for the $25k - $30k range in '08 - '09 timeframe but I'm told that values for these might have gone up since then.

Any thoughts from the members here?

Thanks!

post-32824-0-43365100-1451348671_thumb.jpost-32824-0-13477200-1451351033_thumb.jpost-32824-0-23641900-1451351058_thumb.jpost-32824-0-96919200-1451351074_thumb.j

I don't know of any comps to compare..

but a well sorted car ID THINK COULD FETCH..OOPS...caps...... $20-25k all day long...my gut tells me above 30k  will narrow the buyers group....

to get over that , Id think ud need a hi end driver, w/ a nice strong well maintained s14.......of course I do know one not that long ago   I THINK sold for over 40..perhaps close to 50k..price was never confirmed.....hmmm..whos car was that...wink wink.

Id say fix the TB..... maybe a new dash.... and its close to hi 30s on the top end?...I'm speaking of asking price here.

Edited by jrkoupe

You need to provide more detail. Biggest factors IMO and in this order are condition/mileage of the engine as they're pricey to fix, quality of conversion and the rest of the spec. Gearbox, diff, brakes, suspension etc.

Pictures, lots of pictures. If you think your car has a timing belt, maybe you should get help with the pictures.

35 to 40?

Who built it?

John

Thanks for the helpful replies. 

No Harv, I don't think my car has a timing belt - I just didn't have enough coffee when I wrote my post.  ...chain, yes it's a chain...  .  ;-)  ...and no, I don't need help with pictures thank you very much - however, I am in Hawaii and don't have access to more photos atm.  Thank you for your informative post.

The car has a 5-speed transmission and 3.91 LSD diff.   Racecraft in Woodinville, WA did the install and much of the work on the car in general.  They have built a '69 BMW 2002 race car for me as well as a '69 rally car that I campaigned at Targa Newfoundland for a few years. They are one of the best shops on the West Coast.

So far, I am hearing between $30k - $50k.  That is essentially the range I was thinking as well, however, as you all know there are so few "comps" out there so it's a tough one.

Thanks!

As much as I would like to buy this car and keep it here in the great Northwest, the lottery scratch ticket I received netted only $1. Darn the luck!

My post did come out as gruf.

Sorry.

Yea is an M2 a hot rod? I mean, I know my car will not be worth its stock equivalent, that's for sure.

Wish I had bought that S14 for 2500 when I had the chance.

John

$50,000?? I'm trying to understand how these cars are valuated (is that a word?). Why is a car like this worth more than twice an equivalent original base sedan with its born-with matching numbers engine and trans? 

Edited by Beemeup

Not trying to be an idiot but the car is worth exactly what somebody else is willing to pay for it. I would value the car thusly: the price of an equivalent condition car with non matching engine and transmission PLUS the cost of the modification. If the car is not 100% turn key ready and needing nothing I would deduct at least 25% of of that value. The reason I say that is that these cars are not done well on a budget and somebody contemplating paying top dollar wants a "showroom" new condition car. Otherwise I'll do it myself and get the color I want, the specs I want, the way I want. So my feelings are if it's a no excuses perfect car you can ask top dollar, otherwise if you want to actually sell it consider 75% of top dollar as an asking price.

I agree that value is buyer driven, no doubt. And by the way, I'm not knocking this car at all. Just wondering how the value of "up to $50,000" is warranted. Are those mods very desirable? More so than a stock 2002? Again, just trying to understand, as I'm kinda new to this 2002 market, and I see people saying stockers aren't worth much more than something in the low teens. School me please! And I hope the OP gets every bit of $50k! 

Edited by Beemeup

Beemeup - The M2 mod is a desirable engine swap to a lot of folks in the "02 world.  It is expensive, however...  S14 engines go for around $8k for a stock high mileage motor on up skywards.  Add to that the conversion kit (http://www.2002parts.com/m2-s14-engine-swap-kit.html ) and the cost of installation (can run up to $6k - $8k or so for one of the larger shops that specialize in the swap).  I know in my case, we opted for a custom aluminum radiator as part of the swap and several other bits that we did "while we were at it". 

Most of the M2's I have seen are fairly well sorted and have numerous performance mods (like mine).  In my case, if I added up all the performance mods I have done along with all the cosmetic bits (re-chromed bumpers, new trim wen the car was painted, recovered Recaro seats, new interior, custom center console with gauges, etc. etc. etc) I have far more then $50k into the car...