• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BBS Wheel Repair in Seattle Area?

bento
Go to solution Solved by nbcbird,

I just picked my car up from getting a track inspection and the only issue they noted was a crack in one of the inner barrels on my BBS RS wheels. Can anyone recommend a shop in the Seattle area to swap the barrel from my spare?

Thanks

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

• Solution

Brent--it's very easy to switch 3-piece RS components.  Just need 8mm and 10mm 12-pt sockets (for the bolts I had). Make sure wheel contact surfaces are clean when reassembling.  Seal seam with silicone, mount tire, and rebalance. 

Edited by nbcbird

Seattle Wheel Service. They are located in Kent. Or Dependable Wheel in Renton.

Thanks David!

Brent--it's very easy to switch 3-piece RS components.  Just need 8mm and 10mm 12-pt sockets (for the bolts I had). Make sure wheel contact surfaces are clean when reassembling.  Seal seam with silicone, mount tire, and rebalance.

I'm tempted and may do this myself. I will at least disassemble the extra wheel and take just the barrel in. Is the sealing really that easy? That's the part that has me tempted to have it done. I want to be sure it holds air when done.

I watched a couple videos on YouTube. Seeing him beat on the wheels to split them made me cringe a bit.

Brent

This video did a good job of explaining the steps to seal the wheel.

https://youtu.be/M7FqNluXsY4

I think I'll give it a go.

Just need some 12 point sockets and a little more research on sealant. I'm seeing conflicting info on pure silicone like shown in the video or high temp rtv.

A caulking gun of silicone looks a lot easier to use than a toothpaste tube of rtv...

Brent

I reassembled my 2 piece wheels (admittedly easier), but I just bought new hardware. I stuck the centers in the freezer overnight to facilitate their reassembly. Then I had Dependable Wheel make sure they were balanced and straight.

Edited by Chamonix72

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Finally got some time to work on this tonight.

Here's the crack that started this project;

post-47476-0-83594500-1451977899_thumb.j

Disassembly took a while due to some stubborn bolts. Well, they weren't so much stubborn as glued in place;

post-47476-0-44893400-1451978077_thumb.j

They sure weren't afraid to use locktite at the factory.

This made a satisfying clunk;

post-47476-0-58372000-1451978154_thumb.j

I really like the original gold. It would look great with Malaga.

post-47476-0-38952500-1451978232_thumb.jpost-47476-0-65726800-1451978263_thumb.j

The gunmetal respray isn't bad looking though.

post-47476-0-94730900-1451978328_thumb.j

I have some more cleaning to do tomorrow, then I can start reassembly.

Brent

I hesitate to call it "done" until I get a tire on the wheel and see if it holds air, but the wheel is assembled and the silicone is curing.

Fingers crossed...

Brent

I hesitate to call it "done" until I get a tire on the wheel and see if it holds air, but the wheel is assembled and the silicone is curing.

Fingers crossed...

I'm with you on the fingers crossed comment.  I just completed restoring my RSs, I started on Thanksgiving weekend and just finished this last Sunday.  My biggest fear is that I didn't get something right and they leak.  Just like you, I won't know until I get the tires on.

post-40924-0-80373300-1452103895_thumb.j

post-40924-0-81034000-1452103913_thumb.j

post-40924-0-24083700-1452103939_thumb.j

E9er- they look great!

This was just a functional repair. One of these days I'll have to do a proper restoration.

I'm trying to decide whether I should get a tire on tonight with ~21 hours of cure time or wait until tomorrow.

I have a track day on Saturday, so it'll be an expensive mistake if this doesn't hold air.

I almost ordered extra wheels with track tires last weekend but decided to gamble on this wheel repair working. I'd rather know now than wait another day.

I'm too tall to wear a helmet in my daily so I'm SOL if the wheel doesn't hold air.

Brent

This may be the perfect opportunity to track the Cayenne??

It isn't my car. I've tried to convince Silvia to do a driving school in the Macan, but she's not comfortable doing that in an SUV.

Brent

Ah... Macan, I will try and get my facts straight, the next time I am trying to be funny ;)

They look pretty much the same. I still mistake one for the other on the road sometimes.

I wouldn't even consider asking. I suppose I could rent one of the school cars, worst case. Not cheap but it would be interesting.

Brent