phano

Drivers Side Shock Tower, Spare tire Well

9 posts / 814 viewsLast Reply

Hi,

I'm looking for a drivers side shock tower to replace my current one that has some rust. Also, looking for a replacement spare tire well/trunk floor. I'm located in NYC. Thanks in advance.

post-49680-0-14900800-1451342895_thumb.j

post-49680-0-91447000-1451342895_thumb.j

Edited by phano

I have one of those repair panels, with a BMW sticker on it.

It is very thin gauge and the quality of the fabrication is shockingly poor.

In my opinion you would be much better off finding a donor part from a parts car.

If you do want this particular panel, let me know.

You can have mine for $20 plus shipping.

It really is thin and wrinkly though.

(how is that for a sales pitch?)

042_zpsvvjpsbkj.jpg

045_zpswgxcguhs.jpg

044_zpsmiwrwjqj.jpg

I do not know the answer either.

They call it a 'reinforcement' piece.

As if you would slip it over the existing/failing metal... but I would not do that.

I had a whole wheel well for that side as well, but I sold it cheap a while back.

I wish I had that to offer you now.

Both parts came in a box-o-parts I bought and I have been slowly selling the ones I do not need.

I will need to do a little patching of my wheel arches, but hopefully I can do what I need with simple strips of metal and a TIG torch.

I also have the inner fender box section, which is very heavy gauge and a quality (NLA) part.

It was ~ $80, when it was available.

I am hesitant about parting with this one, seeing as how I have some repair work to do in that area.

038_zpsajxgvyd5.jpg

I do not know the answer either.

They call it a 'reinforcement' piece.

As if you would slip it over the existing/failing metal... but I would not do that.

I had a whole wheel well for that side as well, but I sold it cheap a while back.

I wish I had that to offer you now.

Both parts came in a box-o-parts I bought and I have been slowly selling the ones I do not need.

I will need to do a little patching of my wheel arches, but hopefully I can do what I need with simple strips of metal and a TIG torch.

I also have the inner fender box section, which is very heavy gauge and a quality (NLA) part.

It was ~ $80, when it was available.

I am hesitant about parting with this one, seeing as how I have some repair work to do in that area.

038_zpsajxgvyd5.jpg

I've exchanged emails with someone at restoration design and they assured me that their replacement is the same gauge metal as the original part. I'd just have to cut out the old and get the new one welded in. Am I being naïve? Is it really that easy? Based on the photo I posted, would I also need that inner fender box portion?

I measured the 'reinforcement panel' and it is .032" thick, or 20 gauge.  If they say it is the same as the original, I would believe them.  I just took this photo in the trunk, to give an idea of how much the panel replaces.  It does not go very far below the spot welds, where they tend to rust through.  Perhaps the part below that would be easy to patch with a homemade panel?

001_zps2advkdij.jpg

The other inner fender box piece is almost twice as thick, at .053", or 16 gauge.  I suppose there would be a chance that your original piece is salvageable, but it looks pretty crunchy in that photo.  There is also a piece that attaches to it, where the top of the spring mounts.  

003_zps1nkbm1eg.jpg

038_zpsx1o1z3g6.jpg

"Just cut and weld" sounds easy enough, but I think this is a tricky area to fix because of the way the pieces run behind the rear seat bulkhead.  Have you pulled the back seat out to check for rust?

(I am feeling naive, trying to help with a repair I have never attempted).