• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classifieds postings redundancy.....

mo02

I have been wondering about multiple posts by a single user on a (single) part lately.....it looks like this:

Seller X

Seller X

Seller X

Seller X

Seller X

Seller Y

Seller X

Trying to sell Z

Seller X

Open to offers on A

Seller X

Seller X

Anyone interested in Option B

Two reasons to me say this is not an issue:

1) Seller X is new to the forum & has little experience posting (no biggie)

2) Some items or sellers prefer to showcase a product as a single piece & not in a jumble of parts or text (ok as it sometimes helps to sell)

What I wonder is how can there be a happy medium?

Where Seller X can group some of his products & single 1-2 that need attention.  It would make sense to other posters & will remove some of the redundancy of multiple posts.

Just my .02 cents, I have no idea what is the solution, but this is the discussion forum so.....discuss....?

Thanks,

Mo Faraz

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

• 1 month later...

I guess no one wants to discuss.

It is annoying when just a few Sellers can basically hog the first page of parts for sale. A post will end up on page 2 in a day (or less), and page 3 in another day.

The professional Seller's, 02nut, BMWCHRIS, gearheadgreg, to name a few, give little thought the amateur Sellers. When you have 5 steering wheels for sale, for goodness sake group them in one post! I guess we should be glad these Seller's don't feel like helping the Faq Board by donating a little and having their posts "pinned"; if they did we'd have to look on page 3 or 4 for the new items for sale.

A little logic/common sense and thought for your fellow '02er wouldn't hurt.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I'll discuss, respectfully, with an alternate opinion. I prefer the one part/one post approach as either a buyer or a seller for simplicity's sake. The search function is provided to help navigate the classifieds. Other online classifieds have literally thousands of active sellers and posts quickly drop off the first page due to the sheer volume of postings. I guess I am accepting of the fact that I might need to put effort into finding parts for an obscure 40+ year old car, and the faq classifieds is no different.

If a prospective buyer doesn't want to use the search function or quickly tires of clicking to the next page of classifieds, that might be an unmotivated buyer that will waste my time as a seller. If another seller bumps my post with an avalanche of posts, good for them for putting the effort into making a few extra pennies for themselves and hopefully helping another faqer, and keeping an 02 on the road.

I appreciate that sellers of both types are willing to take the time to post and provide me with options on parts. Bigger issues for me are lack of clear descriptions, inaccurate descriptions, poor photography, backing out of deals once the seller realizes that they underestimated shipping cost and/or effort, etc. I could go on, but I have rambled on enough already.

Colin

1968 1602

I think it would be fair to have an informal limit on how many postings a single seller can try to keep on the main page (3?). Obviously, with other people responding to older posts etc. it would be impossible to ensure only x number were up there, but by having a "rule" that mods could occasionally remind people of (when they make tons of posts in that section) it may help the problem, particularly since its often the same sellers.

For me its simple.....Those who need to make many posts to sell individual parts should have their own page on the FAQ (sort of like an eBay sellers page).

That way you can search by person, then scroll the classifieds to see what you need.

I personally feel that many posts by one user in succession is like driving with the horn on, heater full blast, all tell-tale lights on.....well you get the idea.

Mo

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

The search function is provided to help navigate the classifieds. Other online classifieds have literally thousands of active sellers and posts quickly drop off the first page due to the sheer volume of postings. I guess I am accepting of the fact that I might need to put effort into finding parts for an obscure 40+ year old car, and the faq classifieds is no different.

If a prospective buyer doesn't want to use the search function or quickly tires of clicking to the next page of classifieds, that might be an unmotivated buyer that will waste my time as a seller. If another seller bumps my post with an avalanche of posts, good for them for putting the effort into making a few extra pennies for themselves and hopefully helping another faqer, and keeping an 02 on the road.

The search function; a novel idea. Maybe these Sellers should realise that a single post with multiple items is not thwarted by the search function. If a Seller posts a, for instance, dome light in a multiple item post, the search function will find it.

Savvy Buyers can post in the parts wanted section.

I had hoped one, or more, of the "professional" Sellers might have replied to this topic, but, maybe, they don't use the General forum.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I had hoped one, or more, of the "professional" Sellers might have replied to this topic, but, maybe, they don't use the General forum.

I'm not picking on this forum, but on many others it's not uncommon to have these "professional" sellers that are only on the forums to sell their stuff, contributing nothing else to the community.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif