rlobdill

Teutonic origami, Help with front seat belt fitment and part numbers

18 posts / 1168 viewsLast Reply

I'm sending this out to the collective wisdom and experience of the group.  I'm sorta stuck.

I'm going to discuss three part numbers:

72 11 1 830 695

SAFETY BELT FRONT LEFT USA

72 11 1 830 696

SAFETY BELT FRONT RIGHT

USA

and 72 11 1 830 693 (not found in any search I have done)

I'm going to refer to them as 693, 695 and 696

The pictures below are of the seat belt assy that I received from ECS tuning when I ordered 695

post-45558-0-81526500-1451240833_thumb.j

OK so far.

post-45558-0-19656200-1451240835_thumb.j

post-45558-0-45883800-1451240837_thumb.j

My assumption is that the label marking of "1 830 693" is BWM short hand for p/n 72 11 1 830 693

When I tried to install this belt into the driver side (Left), I convinced myself that what came in the box was actually a passenger side (Right) seat belt assembly.

To make it (almost) fit, I

1. unscrewed the pointed tip pin and put it on the opposite side than is shown on the picture (From past experience, I believe these used to have a non-movable pin that helped define wether it was a R or L fitment. 
  2. Flipped the floating bracket (bracket shown on second picture) that connects to outside of the retractor so that when the belt is pulled across your body the stitched on label (Made In Germany etc.) is facing to the outside of the car (I think that is wrong).

But even with these changes, I still end up with a 180 degree twist that appears between the B pillar anchor and the sliding clasp. I suppose I could remove the 180 degree twist by folding the belt on itself and pulling it through sliding clasp. But on this design even the sliding clasp has a 'handedness' to it (a bend ) that would still end up backwards.

You know, it would work, but just seems a drag to pay $230 (non-refundable special order) for a new seat belt and have it be cockeyed.

I think the BMW warehouse that boxed this put in the wrong part. If I could prove that maybe I could return it to ECS for the right part. But I can see ECS saying, "well the box is marked 695 and that is the part you ordered"

But the label on the belt is marked 693. That is a mystery.  Does anyone have any info on 72 11 1 830 693?  Because if it  is a real BMW number,  I could use that prove that the wrong part was put in the box marked 695

Of course, one solution is to put the one I have on the passenger side and order another left side. But being non-refundable, what if the same part came a second time?  I should have just ordered a R and L at the same time but was working in a budget.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

BMW's numbering system uses odd numbers for the left & even for the right.

You are showing photos of a label stating "1 830 693," which IS an incomplete BWM part number.  It's certainly possible that it was placed into the wrong box.  Part numbers are superceded time after time, so some of the first four numbers could have changed.  You need someone to dig out their paper parts catalog to see what the numbers were!

Good luck!

According to my factory parts book, the part 72 11 1 830 695 and 696 are shown as "complete front seat belt kits" left and right respectively.  The P/N 72 11 1 830693 is shown as "upper belt, left" (694 is "upper belt right").

So it would make sense that the number stamped on the belt part shown in your picture is stamped on the "upper belt" as it's available as a separate part from the "complete assembly" which carries a different part number.  

I can't explain why it doesn't fit properly on your car, as it's shown as the correct belt for the US "modell 74" car.  It differs from the earlier inertia reel belts because it has the electrical contacts for the seat belt interlock.  

At least it answers the part number question, if not the fitment problem.

cheers

mike

John and Mike:

Thank you for the most valuable information. That factory parts book is the awesome last word. Everything points to the distinct possibility that I truly have a Left Side seat belt assembly. That is encouraging. I will go back to playing with the fitment and see if I can find where i went wrong.

One piece of information that would be helpful would be if someone could tell me which side of the mounting bolt is the pointed index pin supposed to sit on? Stated another way, the retractor assembly mounts to the body via a 17mm bolt, with respect to this bolt, is the index pin towards the rear of the car or towards the front of the car? (in my picture the pin is sitting towards the front of the car, but I'm not sure that is the correct position).

Thanks again,

Rich

Can't you reposition that pin by unscrewing and moving it to one of the other holes?

Simeon:

Yes, you can move the pin but I've been under the impression that there is one correct way to mount each seat belt assembly. And that would dictate in which hole the pin should be installed.

Rich

Rich,

You have a right side seatbelt.

The pin, for which there is no receiving hole on the round-tail 2002s, must go to the REAR of the car.  Otherwise, the floating mount and seat belt will interfere with the pin when the belt is pulled from the reel.

Maybe someone with a squaretail car can snap a picture of a mounted inertia reel assembly that shows the pin mounted toward the rear of the car.

Delia! Ah! 

So I have no receiving hole at all!  (having a '72)

I too, tentatively concluded that the pin would need to go towards the rear of the car lest it interfere with the floating bracket that connecta from the retractor to the belt. 

But what about the info I got from John and Mike that: 1) part numbers that end in odd numbers are Left side and 2) My strap is marked with an odd numbered part number and Mike found a reference to it in the big hard-copy part number book?

If it really is a Right side then both the sewn-in label and the shipping box are marked incorrectly (a possibility for sure, but now in the realm of multiple failures)

There is one more visual that could help. As I'm sure you know, the body and sides of the retractor are not symmetrical. One of the 'side covers' is wider than the other. And I know from looking at my old retractors that either the 'thicker' or the 'thinner' side always faces to the front (don't know which way though and I don't trust the installation of the old belts on my car to be correct).

Maybe Steve (Conserv) could snap me a picture of his probably-never-taken-apart-seat belt retractors?

Really good to know that the roundies don't use the anchor pin.

Awesome Forum!

Rich

Rich

Just came in from looking at the Repa seat belts on my '73--they're original to the car.  The driver's side reel/belt assembly P/N ends in 692.  The thicker plastic reel end cover faces the rear of the car.  And there's no locating pin.  

I think the pin was added after two years (72-73) of using inertia reels because it's possible to knock the reel assembly out of its vertical position pretty easily--such as getting in and out of the back seat.  It's absolutely imperative that the reel assembly be vertical, because the locking mechanism is a small pendulum that can move in a 360 degree arc.  During a sudden stop (or impact) the pendulum moves away from the vertical and locks the reel.  If the reel assembly isn't vertical, the belt may lock prematurely (or all the time) or not at all.

From the pictures you posted, the locating pin is hexagonal; that implies it can be unscrewed from its mount--which would also make sense in that the belt assemblies could be used on all inertia reel equipped 2002s, both round and square light cars.  And of course you can always drill a hole in the car's body to accommodate the locating pin...

mike

Mike:

Thanks again for your effort.  I think the answer is getting closer. Your information shows that there maybe can be a even numbered part that goes on the Left side of the vehicle.

I'm just going to have to sit down and give it a good look.  Adding an anchoring hole for the pin is a good idea (as long as it holds the retractor exactly vertical.

Rich

Hey, Rich,

I've been traveling -- still am -- and not reading every thread! Here are the front retractors from my '76. The first photo is the left side (driver's) and the second photo is the right side (passenger's) side. Neither of these had ever been out of the car at the time I took these photos. They recently came out as part of the re-painting project.

The third photo, the label showing 1 830 691, is for the original left retracting belt and the fourth photo, showing 1 830 692, is the original right retracting belt.

And the fifth and last photo shows a spare right-hand retractor, also a 1 830 692. You'll notice that it has the locating pin on the rear half of the frame (i.e., towards the rear of the car), corresponding to both a.) the "thinner" side of the original retractor AND b.) the new retractor frame you show in your original post!

(The '76 was manufactured April 23, 1976. The front seat belts are dated April 8, 1976.)

Best regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-10820700-1451534596_thumb.j

post-41123-0-15702300-1451534642_thumb.j

post-41123-0-91778600-1451535510_thumb.j

post-41123-0-13514000-1451535617_thumb.j

post-41123-0-48911500-1451535789_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

Steve and Mike:  What a conundrum!  

A quote from Mike: 

Just came in from looking at the Repa seat belts on my '73--they're original to the car.  The driver's side reel/belt assembly P/N ends in 692.  The thicker plastic reel end cover faces the rear of the car

And then from Steve:

The third photo, the label showing 1 830 691, is for the original left retracting belt and the fourth photo, showing 1 830 692, is the original right retracting belt.

And you can see from Steve's pictures that the thicker plastic reel end cover faces the front of the car.

And you both suggest that the retractors have never been removed.

I applaud you both for wading into this quagmire ...  but all I can say at the moment is:

Ack!

(maybe one of these cars is right-hand drive)

Rich

Steve and Mike: What a conundrum!

A quote from Mike:

Just came in from looking at the Repa seat belts on my '73--they're original to the car. The driver's side reel/belt assembly P/N ends in 692. The thicker plastic reel end cover faces the rear of the car

And then from Steve:

And you can see from Steve's pictures that the thicker plastic reel end cover faces the front of the car.

And you both suggest that the retractors have never been removed.

I applaud you both for wading into this quagmire ... but all I can say at the moment is:

Ack!

(maybe one of these cars is right-hand drive)

Rich

Ack, yes, Rich!

But things changed from '73 to '76. I believe that BMW only began installing Repa's during the '73 model year -- my October 19, 1972-manufactured '73 has original Autoflugs, with neither locating pins nor holes therefor, and I've seen other early '73 models with similar Autoflugs. And my '76's Repa reels are mounted sufficiently rearward that you couldn't mount the "fat side" of the reel toward the rear. So perhaps the bolt holes (in the body) moved rearward with the square tail light cars.

Beware of asking for information: you may get it! And then you've got to deal with a myriad of inconsistencies!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Hmmm. My '73 tii with a 2/73 build date has the Repa belts with the locating pins and holes. Must have been one of the earlier cars to get them from the factory . . . . .

Chris

I have a recollection that the seat belt mounting bolts were SAE and not metric.