Sign in to follow this  
PeterCS

Rear Shocks - Replace?

4 posts / 642 viewsLast Reply

Here are some pics of one of my rear shocks.  

Restored a 74 2002 and never did the shocks so do not know if these are original.  

I get some knocking in the rear as if the suspension is "bottoming" out but the shocks do not seem shot when I press down on trunk with my hands.

thoughts?

If I do replace,what are the right replacements (just standard versions).

many thanks,

PeterCS

74 2002

82 315 Baur

post-32124-0-47580800-1451232701_thumb.j

post-32124-0-25350700-1451232710_thumb.j

post-32124-0-33882700-1451232718_thumb.j

Those look like Gabriel (after market) shocks but it's hard to tell from the pictures.  Have you tried compressing 'em off the car to check resistance?  Are they leaking? (wet either around the piston seal or at the bottom)

The lower rubber bushing doesn't seem to have disintegrated; how are the upper rubber mounts?  If they've worked loose that can cause a thumping sound when you go over a bump (so can a loose spare tire!)

It's not easy to "test" a used shock to see how stiff it is, unless you have a new one to compare it with.  It's even more difficult to tell when it's on the car.  If you don't know how old these are from maintenance records or the PO, they may be due for replacement.  

If you're gonna keep the car "indefinitely" go for good shocks, like Koni or Bilstein. Do the job once and you're done.  I tried KYBs on the front of my '69; they were shot in 35k miles.  The Bilsteins on my '73 are still going strong at 150k +...

mike

What do you have in front?  

Matching those would probably make you happiest, in terms of handling.  

I agree with Mike- the upper mounts (and lowers, if the shock can rotate)

can make quite a racket.  Nothing like an E30's, though...

t

I completely agree with Mike, as regards shock choice. I have worn out konis and Boge shocks , but never had a set of bilsteins go bad. Bilstein shocks may still continue to have a lifetime warranty, where they rebuild them for you if you can wear them out.  Good shock absorber and springs are also probably the most beautiful thing you can do for your 2002 driving experience, as these cars handle even better with minor suspension tweaks. If you're going to  keep the car, consider putting a set of BilStein shocks  on it. Keep on oversteering, and remember there is no such thing as too Much fun.

Sincerely, Peter